Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Woodworkers
I cut down the forearm on my 1895 marlin and plan to give it a tru oil finish.I didn't use a pattern and free formed the shape on a belt sander.Through a slight miscalculation I removed about 1/4" too much walnut on the the lower rear corner of the forearm.
Functionally the piece is fine and since I'm not even close to a perfectionist the wood to metal misfit I could live with,but I am wondering....
Is there a patching material that is easy to use to rebuild the corner(1/4x3/16") that would be durable and close enough in color to the final oil finish to make the repair worthwhile? If the color is too far off I'm afraid that the repair would only draw attention rather than being unobtrusive.
Any wisdom or advice you can offer?
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
256 Posts
Stock repair

If it were brought to me I would do one of three things:
a. I would scrounge through my bits and pieces of walnut and try to find a close match and square the area up and glue/pin a repair piece in. Grain match can be faked with stains and even felt markers and then finished over.
b. Use modelling clay to dam around the low spot and build it up with clear epoxy resin and reshape and finish by very fine sanding and polishing. Apply same finish as wood over the top
c. use the same technique with acra glass containing stain and then fake the grain pattern to match the adjoining wood with stains and a graining brush.

You can actually do a pretty good job with any of these if you are a bit fussy. I've built the comb on a trap shot gun up 3/8 of an inch with the clear epoxy resin. You really only notice it if it's held so the light can shine through it's depth. From other angles it's clear enough the the wood grain and natural wood color show through. Takes a bit of effort to get it looking natural but works well. What can you lose by trying one of them? luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The epoxy worked fine.I masked the receiver with scotch tape and then refitted the forearm.I poured five min. epoxy and shaped it to fit the ground away void,let it harden over night,trimmed it up the next day and went on with the finishing process.
Will it win any prizes in the seemless undetectable repair contest?I don't think so,but the fit is good and one would need to look very closely to see the repair.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts