Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To moderators: I apologize for my thread. However, since we have a thread that is mainly religious(cross-wire), can't we have a political thread? Just asking...It has only a little to do with reloading, but a lot with guns.
Terry

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,670 Posts
Thanks for asking. Marshall's rules. Feel free to contact him. Let us know.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
I use to think that would be a good idea, but in the long run, you'll just inflame the issue, make people mad, and change no one's opinion.
Much the same as talking about which is best caliber!

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
I use to think that would be a good idea, but in the long run, you'll just inflame the issue, make people mad, and change no one's opinion.
Much the same as talking about which is best caliber!
Geez, and I thought I was the only one to notice that :)

Dan

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Two of the most inflammatory topics of conversation possible are politics and religion: We've got one of those covered and I'm happy to say the consensus makes for (mostly) polite, respectful and engaging dialog. The reality is that we are primarily Christians and by and large, Republicans or at least, conservatives. To own guns and be a liberal would be an odd combination, indeed!

However, the gamut of political topics is simply too broad and emotional to inject into a forum designed and paid for as a means to discuss firearms and reloading. There are plenty of other places to read and share your feelings about politics: I like the idea of keeping this site devoted to guns, and the use thereof. :)

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
IMO, political threads, even if started out relating to 2nd Amendment topics (as many here already are) will quickly deteriorate to down in the dirt '...this stupid politician...'-type "discussion", etc. Most would likely get locked. And along with that, a bunch of new members that simply want to jump into the fray that otherwise have no interest in hunting or shooting. We could set up all the rules imaginable, and it wouldn't matter; they would mostly not be read, or frequently violated.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Sorry Terry, I like you guys too much to find something more to argue about! Most other boards have a political arena and if you really want to talk politics I'm sure you can find one, but come back when you want to talk guns, loads, bullets, even if the .270 is really better than the .30-06 just no more political garbage.

·
7,762 Posts
Completely agree with the response posts, but isn't it too bad that one of our most important American responsibilities to be good citizens is something we do such a poor job in demonstrating, civil discussion. :eek:

Dan

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
DOK,

It certainly IS sad, but to be trite, "this is not the forum". :)

Take solace in knowing that at least here you will find well-informed men and women discussing a topic with civility, logic and passion. Show me where a like discussion of politics is occurring and I will most assuredly join in. The preponderance of Americans no longer care about their civil obligations to be informed and to express their concerns with both words and actions. At least when someone lets fly their fingers on ShootersForum, they're very likely to include details and pictures and meaningful sentiments to support their position. Politics has become little more than an emotional blood-letting, in this country; rational thought as scarce as fiscal responsibility.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
“I like the idea of keeping this site devoted to guns, and the use thereof.”

I agree, its pretty easy to find a board to discuss politics on but it is very hard to find a board with shooters. Reloaders and good moderation.
There are several sites where political discussions are allowed and in general, they are a bit rude and aggressive in nature.

The 24 Hour Campfire has an interesting general discussion forum which at times edges toward the free-for-all side.

A well moderated Yahoo Group run by Charles Hamilton, Schuetzen Chat is a good place for political discussion although it doesn’t happen often any more. Charles puts up some interesting news stories which are gun related. This board will help you stay informed on the World, our Government and State issues.

I don’t know about other board members work places but political discussions abound at mine. Some of them are quite aggressive in nature and have caused quite a few hard feelings.

Here is a link to the Schuetzen Chat home page.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/SchuetzenChat/?yguid=68789957

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,115 Posts
Nope - the board owner is serious about keeping politics completely off this board.

·
36,670 Posts
Will do.... it will resolve to 127.0.0.1 though..... (ok if you get that joke then you are a computer nerd...) :D

·
7,762 Posts
Loop Back ? Off hand, Mike, I'd say we already go in circles around here. And / or would we be talking with ourselves or end in limbo?

Dan

·
36,670 Posts
Hey... Dan.... there is hope for you!!! Congrats! (or "I'm sorry"???)

:p

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Will do.... it will resolve to 127.0.0.1 though..... (ok if you get that joke then you are a computer nerd...) :D
That would be about the only way I can think of to avoid a discussion of politics turning into an argument. In one of my Windows 2000 Server classes, way back when, my lab partner set my DHCP lease duration to 60 seconds, and after I figured out that little twist, he wrote a virus that kept entering a line in my HOSTS file that set 127.0.0.1 for my proxy server. I was lucky to complete any labs, but the instructor got him back with the classic BSOD screensaver! :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Completely agree with the response posts, but isn't it too bad that one of our most important American responsibilities to be good citizens is something we do such a poor job in demonstrating, civil discussion. :eek:

Dan

Well if you think politics is uncivil today (and it is), a good look at the history of our country will show that it has been a lot nastier over the 200+ years this country has been in existance!! Marshall's rule against politics is a good one and the moderatoers are really good at keeping it that way!! Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I worked at a Tech Support call center for almost 3 1/2 years. There was a kid there that liked to set Shell=notepad on his neighbor's Win95 machines!

That would be about the only way I can think of to avoid a discussion of politics turning into an argument. In one of my Windows 2000 Server classes, way back when, my lab partner set my DHCP lease duration to 60 seconds, and after I figured out that little twist, he wrote a virus that kept entering a line in my HOSTS file that set 127.0.0.1 for my proxy server. I was lucky to complete any labs, but the instructor got him back with the classic BSOD screensaver! :)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Folks

Just my $.02 worth.
If I want to wallow in the political slime I'll visit Accurate Reloading's political cess pool.
I enjoy the gentlemanly discourse here.

Jim

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Folks

Just my $.02 worth.
If I want to wallow in the political slime I'll visit Accurate Reloading's political cess pool.
I enjoy the gentlemanly discourse here.

Jim
I'll second Jim's post. Keep the politics off this site! There's other places that offer that type thread. That AR political thread is about the best/worst unmoderated place I've seen. Would not want anything like that here!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts