Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just prepped my new Optima to be fired first time and start sighting in. Noticed two streaks, straight as an arrow (did not follow rifling) at the 2:00 and 3:00 positions in the barrel. Tried scrubbing out with a brush and used barrel blaster. Neither worked or changed anything. The barrel is spotless except these two streaks.

Shot 3 times today and then did my first ever cleaning job (keep in mind this is my first ML). Everything seemed to clean up well EXCEPT the two lines. Look the same as they did before.

They looking like very shallow streaks of pitting but this is a brand new Optima!?

Could they be plastic streaks? If so, wouldnt they follow the rifling? These go straight down from the breech to very near the muzzle, going right over the rifling.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
New rifle... I doubt plastic. It might be tool marks from when the put the rifling in the bore. How did the rifle shoot?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.5" group from 50yds in the woods behind my house and no real benchrest. Will shoot at 100 yd tomorrow weather permitting. 245 powerbelts with 100 g of pyrodex pellets.

All in all, I was pleased with that start, being new at this and all. Are the streaks something I should be concerned about or should it be more "if it shoots well, dont worry about it"?

Thanks for the input Cayugad. I've seen your replies on many posts and appreciate the info and help.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Not really knowing if its into the metal I would hate to tell you it is safe. The streaks might just be a discoloration and that could even disappear in time. It sounds like the rifle is shooting well. And that's a good load you have there. You might give CVA a phone call and talk to a technician there and see what they think. They have probably seen that before and could give you a more definite answer then I can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts