Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Lyman bullet mold at the last gun show I went to. It is 4 caviety mold, 358 diameter. There are no lub grooves in the mold, straight walls only. Each caviety has an adjustable bottom plug so you can make the bullet almost any length you want.

I can find no info on this mold. About all I can think of is that is intended for wad cutters at low speed as there is no way to lub the bullet.

Can anyone shed some light on what I found?

Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plugs are flat.

If it is for swedged bullets, do you know where you can get swedging dies?

I bought it for the price of the 4 caviety mold handles so I will not get hurt in the deal.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
You can get swaging dies from C-H, Corbin, or RCEco. Those are the ones that I know of. Be prepared to spend some coin if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Core mold/

douglas34474 said:
I found a Lyman bullet mold at the last gun show I went to. It is 4 caviety mold, 358 diameter. There are no lub grooves in the mold, straight walls only. Each caviety has an adjustable bottom plug so you can make the bullet almost any length you want.

I can find no info on this mold. About all I can think of is that is intended for wad cutters at low speed as there is no way to lub the bullet.

Can anyone shed some light on what I found?

Thanks
I know this is an old post but...

Is the 'bullet' flat at both ends or does the 'nose' have an ogive? What style?

How does the base plug adjust? Threaded infinitely adjustable shaft? Or, by predetemined steps, only.

I have always wondered why someone did not make an adjustable mold. The only explanation I could come up with is that adjustments of base pins might interfere with position of lube grooves. In a grooveless design that would not be a problem.

It should even be possible to combine that idea with Lee's self-centering base plug design for variable length hollow bases, or variable length HP's, or interchangeable ogives.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have purchased several of these on ebay for very little. They are core moulds for casting cores to be swaged into jackets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts