Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The squib is another matter(24grs of H110 with a 265gr WFNGC in 45 colt) but I now have a bullet stuck 1/2" from the muzzle. Any ideas on how to remove?  Kevin

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
I'd say clamp the barrel securely in a well padded vice, swing out or remove the cylinder and drive the slug back to the breach end with a close fitting brass rod or wood dowel and heavy hammer. Use the weight of the hammer head itself to do the work. Carefully.

As an added thought, spray the barrel down a bit with a good lube to aid in it's removal.

Lead or Jacketed bullet?

Regards, Ray

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm probably more interested in understanding the "how", but you don't appear to want to go there.

Anyway, the basic answer to your question is, you will have to hammer it out.  The trick is to use something that won't mar your rifling.  My first choice is wood dowel and a mallet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The guys are right on technique.
 This is really not a big deal. It usually happens when people are trying low loads with cast bullets prepared with "Fire Lapping compound". This is a procedure which Veral Smith advised when Firelaping barrels.
The idea is to use a low vlocity with the prepared bullets so as "not" to upset the size of the bullet. In this way an excellent lapping can be given to the barrel.
Just take a wooden dowel that will fit in the barrel and hammer it out with caution, as prescribed. You won't hurt the barrel!
 Now, CAUTION, CAUTION,CAUTION!!!
  When you use this method of firelapping (and this is the best way) use a target/stop such as a cardboard box with rags are something stuffed in it. CHECK and MAKE SURE there is a new bullet hole everytime you shoot!!! If not, guess what, bullet gets stuck in barrel! Sound familiar?
Have fun.
Changeling

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I will get a hardwood dowel just under bore size and put some Kroil in the bore and give it a good whack! Thanks. I am also going to start useing a Redding Profile Crimp die to try to get a firmer ,consistent crimp for better ignition.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Check the diameter of your expander plug also.  It should be at least 0.003" under bullet diameter for a tight bullet fit, 0.005" even better.  This contributes to the grip of the case on the bullet quite a bit, the crimp can't do it all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts