Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CVA Blazer 50 cal muzzleloader. I have been using Powerbelt Aerotip bullets with no problems until a couple days ago. I had a bullet get stuck. I tried multiple times to get it to fire but eventually had to resort to a bullet puller. I managed to get the bullet itself out of the barrel but the plastic skirt from the bullet stuck. The skirt and powder are still lodged in the barrel and I don't know how to go about it removing it.. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The powder has been dampened so no chance of combustion. :confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Go back in with the same ball puller. Should line up with the hole in the skirt. Screw it in tight and pull out slowly.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
If you can't hook it with a ball puller, try a patch puller. It should be able to hook the skirt and pull it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4570Tom

I tried to that but no matter how slowly i pulled, the puller slipped. I oiled the barrel to make it slide easier. At this point, I'm trying to fashion a hook with a wire coat hanger to fish it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can't hook it with a ball puller, try a patch puller. It should be able to hook the skirt and pull it out.
I also tried the patch puller, but it wouldn't grab hold at all. I didn't try too hard because I was afraid I'd bend the rods on the patch puller. I'll try again. If the patch puller is the only thing lost in the process, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
If you know someone with an air compressor and a nozzle attachment, remove the nipple, stick the nozzle to the nipple seat, give 'er a blast. Watch out -- stuck bullets, sabots, patches, jags, etc. come out with considerable velocity.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
pisgah +1.

I do this often (compressor) with loads stuck and bullet that were loaded without powder. I made a small fitting that I can screw into the flash hole bushing and on to a probane cylinder (small torch type). It comes right out. Be careful as said the bullet and stuff comes out fast. als wear googles or safety glasses as the black powder comes out in granules, that bounce and are sharp to eyes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a co2 cartridge kit.When you push the adater on to the nipple it shoots the bullet out so fast it sounds like a loud pop gun.Handy little deal to have with you hunting too just in case you need to clear the barrel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ditch the coat hanger idea, steel coat hangers and rifling do not go well together. The co2 discharger is the best way if the ball puller won't work. Last resort, pull breech plug use large diameter wooden dowel or brass rod and drive it out.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
+1 on pulling the breach plug. Most modern muzzleloaders have an easily removable plug

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I don't believe the Blazer has a removable breech plug. Just an old fashion nipple center up on the breech end of the barrel.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
The compressed air sounds like the way to go if you have the tools.

If not, have you tried using something very sticky, like gorilla duct tape twisted firmly to your ram-rod with a balled up wad (sticky side out) on the end? You should be able to pin the powerbelt to the bottom of the barrel, stick to it, and pull it out.

If you are able to pin it to the bottom, but even the gorilla tape isn't sticky enough, you could apply a small dab of 5 minute epoxy to that wad of tape and then pin the belt. Let it cure for 5 minutes and then pull it out. The downside to this is the possibility of getting a little of the epoxy in the flash-hole or on the lands (although the powder would keep it out of the flash hole I think). In any case, it would be easy enough to clean out with a strong solvent because that type of epoxy doesn't fully cure for an hour, but just be aware. It would only take a VERY small amount of 5-minute epoxy if you are indeed able to pin the plastic power belt down at the bottom. Just enough to cover that wad of tape at the end of your rod. Then let it cure half way (2.5 minutes) before going in so there is no possibility of any dripping off. Try the duct tape method first and see if you can even pin the sucker down flush.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just keep in mind, even though you dampened the powder if it is regular black powder it will become combustible again if it dries out. So, as you work at this be very careful if you apply any kind of heat or sparks, smoking etc. I can't speak of synthetic powders as I never used them. Was the gun very dirty (long shooting session), have you ever had this occur before. Thinking maybe a rough spot or even maybe a constriction in the barrel at that point. Last thing I can think of would be to send a good bit of Kroil down the bore and let it sit overnight. Then try the bullet puller again, may just give it enough lube to slip loose. Keep us posted on your progress and we'll keep thinking.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I would take out the nipple and put a few grains of dry powder behind it. Put the nipple back on and shoot it.
Should come right out.

When I first started muzzleloading I seated a bullet on top of no powder several times. The few grains of powder behind the nipple blew it right out.

Darin

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Zero....I assume you have it out by now. If the above didn't work or you were unsure of doing it. Take it to a gunsmith and it will be out in 5 minutes and you will be out $10.

But, I thought I should tell you that CVA has a recall on Blazer rifles, they exchange them for a new comparable gun. You might strongly consider this. Check their site (it was in effect at least as late as Sept 2013).

·
Registered
670 Posts
Not with the charge already wet down.

Compressed air is the answer.
Why would it not work? Unless he soaked the charge to keep it from going off it should blow it out just like compressed air would. I did it with no powder at all. Unless, you are saying the wet powder would wet the few grains under the nipple.

Darin

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Why would it not work? Unless he soaked the charge to keep it from going off it should blow it out just like compressed air would. I did it with no powder at all. Unless, you are saying the wet powder would wet the few grains under the nipple.

Darin
He said he had wet the charge to deactivate the powder. As you dribble in powder grain by grain, grain by grain it gets wet, too...

Please, don't ask how I know...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts