Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my superblackhawk the other day and was going to strip it down to clean the gripframe out. (new gun don't trust Ruger to get out all the machining gunk) First thing I noticed was that ALL the screws were loose, not even finger tight. Following the instructions in the manual, things went well untill one screw would not come out. If you hold the revolver upside down with the barrel facing away, the right screw behind the trigger guard will loosen about 1/4 turn, then binds up. Unless I am mistaken this is the long screw that anchors the hammer pin? I put all the other screws in snugly, then tried again, no dice. So I stopped there, and replaced all the screws, since I don't want to strip/break/bugger the screw. Am I missing some part of the disassembly process?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
andy
If you trust the smith where you bought the gun take it to him- I don't have my manual handy so I don't know if there's a sequence you have to follow to disassemble the gun. If you can't get with your smith then call Ruger and they will advise you on what to do or have you send it to them for repair! But it sounds like they will be able to get you fixed up over the phone. Good luck!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I don't really know the place I bought it too well, have basically decided not to take it apart, and if it needs anything done inside, Ill call Ruger and see what they have to say. I have already found I need to order a screw for the Ejector Rod housing, as the one in it now has very poorly cut threads and it loosened after about 25 rnds. A new screw and loctite will cure that tendency I think...

Andy

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,321 Posts
Andy,

Don't recall ever having this problem. Possibly a burr or chip of metal?

Do you mean the screws going into the back of the frame on either side of the hammer, or going into the bottom of the frame at the back of the trigger guard? One of the screws going into the back of the frame does keep the hammer pivot pin from coming out, but the screw should come right out (otherwise you could never take out the hammer).

The screws going in through the bottom of the frame, I think that one of them may bear on the loading gate spring. The drawing in my Numrich Parts Catalog is a little fuzzy.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I mean the screws going into the bottom of the frame at the back of the trigger guard, and yes it is the screw that retains the hammer pin (the long screw). It is definately stuck, it will loosen about 1/8-1/4 of a turn then not move again with moderately heavy force, but will tighten right back up. I wonder if someone at the factory didn't put a hammer pin in that stuck too far out on one side, then banged it in, bending the screw, thats the only thing I can think of, it doesn't feel like a stripped thread it feels like a bent screw. I think its gonna stay where it is unless I have trouble with the revolver, requiring removal of the frame.

Andy

·
Banned
738 Posts
Andy,

I haven't answered your post because I was hoping someone more knowledgable in NM's than I would.
Since no body has much of a suggestion about how to fix it, I think now might be a good time to fire off a phone call to Ruger service department.

I know that one doesn't have to take the gun apart, but it seems to me to be something that should be fixed.

J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts