Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owe Dillon an apology!  The first time I saw their “low powder alert” mechanism, I thought how dumb can you be – the powder cylinder is right there in front of your face, I mean 12” from your eyeballs. Anyone that needs a “low powder alert” is too dangerous to do their own handloading.

Well, the first clue was when the Chrony said 648.2fps for 20.2 grs. of 2400. The second clue was when the sound was “piffffffffffff” and the Chrony said 0fps.  So, while I may not send Dillon a formal communication, I’m confessing I may have been a little hasty :)

·
Banned
251 Posts
I know what you mean.  I've come close to that same thing more than once.  Haven't broke down and bought the thing yet, but I've thought about it, usually when thinking of upgrading to a 650.
Good shooting
Mark

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
I too have been close with my Dillon... actually had to pull the bullets on a few loads a time or two to make sure that I hadn't actually committed the cardinal sin.

Back when I was shooting the Trap circuit, I spent many a nights loading shotshells when I know I must have been asleep (or certainly should have been) and have done that very thing.  Loaded sometimes several shotgun shells without a grain of powder!

Yep, I do think that the low powder alert is a mighty fine investment... especially for those tunnel minded folks like myself from time to time!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just pulled four empties of my own last night, and I was thinking the exact same thing….

·
Registered
8 Posts
I load on a RCBS piggyback atop my rockchucker and had a case pass the powder station without being charged. I usually watch this real close but this one slipped by me and when fired in my python I noticed that it didn't sound loud enough and checked things out. lucky that the primer only pressure only pushed the 148 gr. wc out just far enough into the barrel that the base of the bullet was still in the cylinder. If the bullet had traveled into the barrel completly and a not so observant shooter hadn't realized this and cycled another round and fired, there may have been quite a catastrophy. I now have a lowpowder lockup die in position so this will never happen again.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Dok

When that happens, smile broadly and tell every near by that it was a hearing test.

Jim

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Not that I was ever wrong, but they say confessions are good for the soul.

Glad you didn't wind up with extra in another round.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wow, Hobie, you really dug deep into the arcives for this thread. Nine and a half years ago...I had mostly blond hair then. Oh well, silver is still a popular color.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
While shooting some light cast loads in my Marlin .357 CB I had a very light recoil, a pop and seen the bullet land about 20ft in front of me. It was the last one in a box of 50 I had loaded a week before. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts