Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see the articleabout the lady finding a Sturmeisser 44 in her fathers closet? What will become of this? Surely they wont destroy it.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,223 Posts
According to the NRA, the police refused to accept the gun into the gun buyback program and told her to go have it appraised as they figured it was worth 30K or so. Nice to read about honest folks Whit did not take advantage of an unknowing citizen.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
I know I'm an idiot but would someone tell me what a Sturmeisser 44 is?

·
Registered
272 Posts
The illegitamate offspring of a Sturmgewehr 44 and a Schmeisser? The real earthshaking news...the media called it an assault rifle....and it actually was. :eek:

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
Monty,

The article I read listed it as a Sturmgewehr 44, the original fully automatic assault rifle, so-called. The gun in question was seized up, fully inoperable, there was no 8mm Kurz ammo for it, and yet the police still felt compelled to say what a horrible, dangerous weapon it was.

From the article - Valuable WWII Gun at Police Buy-Back | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

"Her father passed away. The gun was in her closet," Cavanna said. "She did not know it was a machine gun.

"If the gun had been in the closet loaded, any second you could hit the wrong level and discharge a fatal round," he said of the Sturmgewehr 44.

OK, it's not a "machine gun" and I don't know what "level" you would hit on a rifle (other than the trigger?) to discharge a fatal round. :rolleyes:

I was glad to hear they were honest about the history and value of the gun, and that they refused to take it from her. My guess is she'll realize a substantial financial windfall from it. My family is in possession of two different "bring back" guns from WWII and when I think about the personal sacrifice my grandfather made during that time period, I could never bring myself to part with either of them. (As a medic, he took shrapnel in both legs, which caused on-going vascular problems the rest of his life.)

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
According to ATF usual stance "any unregister machine guns will be destroyed", "once a machine gun always a machine gun" and ammo is currently available from Hornady and Priv.

I got a chance to fire two MP44s in Iraq in 03. Nice historical guns.

CD

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
I can see some resemblence between that rifle and a H&K M91/93. Interesting, CD what was your impression when shooting it? Are they select fire?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Surely there has to be some sort of exception for antique machine guns?? Due to there value and rarity. That would be insanity to destroy this rifle.

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
It's not being destroyed. It was given back to the lady and she's working with a dealer to find it a home with a person that is licensed to own a unique piece of history.

Is a fully-automatic AR really a "machine gun"? I guess I don't understand the distinction between the two.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,464 Posts
If it can fire more than one round by a single manipulation of the trigger, then I believe it would be classified as a machine gun.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Unfortunately many WWII Curios and Relics are banned. Unless that StG 44 was Registered during the Amnesty December 1- 16, 1968, it is Forfeit and will be destroyed. Just think how much safer we will all be thereafter.

The Sturmgewehr 44 was the first Assault Rifle and is Selective Fire thus coming under the National Firearms Act of 1934. That Federal law was allegedly due to the Bad Boys in Chicago using Thompsons on their enemies. Well, why NOT Punish the BGs and let honest folks own full autos?

Currently, over 300,000 honest folks own full auto (NFA) arms. The ONLY BG was a New Jersey cop who used his full auto arm criminally. Full auto arms DO NOT IMPUTE CRIMINAL INTENT, so what is the problem?

Webley

1 - 11 of 11 Posts