Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentleman have you ever attempted to change the world? The X95 Tavor is the American sporting version of the Israeli militaries CQB [Close Quarters Battle] rifle. It is second to none in that particular role. However, this is America and occasions of close quarter battle are quite rare outside of Chicago. Lol. For the X95's price tag [$1500-$1900] the American shooter expects accuracy equivalent to a similarly price AR style sporting platform. Thus far this has not been the case. The biggest accuracy issue with both the Tavor SAR & X95 platforms has been the chrome lined barrel. Not only does chrome lining affect the accuracy there have been thermal issues with shoot groups expanding as the barrel heats up. At this time no aftermarket accurized barrels exist for either the SAR or X95. There is hope on the horizon however. I composed a letter & sent it out to several on the very best manufacturers of accurized melonited rifle barrels. In this letter I described the problem and requested help. One of these companies, Criterion Barrels Inc answered the call. Marketing Director, Josh Buege of Criterion informed me that they were indeed interested in filling this niche in the market. All they asked was that I do some of the leg work and secure enough distributors to purchase a mere 50 barrels to cover the costs of R&D, retooling & manufacture. I composed another letter which I mailed out to some of the largest gun parts distributors in the industry. Two days later the goal was met. Criterion has now officially taken up the cause & officially begun R&D on target barrels for the X95. Depending upon sales they may well expand into barrels for the SAR as well as into other Tavor calibers such as the 9mm & even .300 ACC. The days of Tavor rifles being limited in utility to close-in engagement may be numbered. An increase in accuracy will allow the rifle to become an effective close to mid-range weapon.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
It was bound to happen. A lot of people are buying the Tavor rifles now so the aftermarket support will grow. Geissele and a few other companies are already making triggers and rail systems for them.

I'm glad you were active in requesting and helping to bring this to market.

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
Unless a bullpup can be immediately converted to eject to its left, it holds no interest for me. I'm a lefty. Thank God for the deflector bump on the AR-15 upper receiver. I have to wonder if the free-market had a hand in getting such a wonderful thing added to the weapon...

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Unless a bullpup can be immediately converted to eject to its left, it holds no interest for me. I'm a lefty. Thank God for the deflector bump on the AR-15 upper receiver. I have to wonder if the free-market had a hand in getting such a wonderful thing added to the weapon...
The have a conversion kit or swap ejection to whichever side you want but the Tavor has a shell deflector as well. It's not ideal but a left handed person can successfully use it without catching hot brass to the face.

Keltech and FNH make rifles that eject downward from the back of the stock and forward in a tube alongside the barrel. Rather Ingenious the way they went about it.

Here is the Keltech rifle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BASgtPpYfF0

The FN PS90 is similar and the FN FS2000 uses a sealed system that pushes brass down a tube and they eventually just fall out the front at your feet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nvshooter, the tavor can either be converted or you can simply order one in the left hand configuration straight from IWI.

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
. . . or you can simply order one in the lefthand configuration straight from IWI.
I'll wager IWI makes dam/ned few of those. We lefties don't get squat made for us...

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I'll wager IWI makes dam/ned few of those. We lefties don't get squat made for us...
They're actually making the left handed rifles/kits fairly available. You can buy the rifle already setup left handed or you can buy the conversion kit (like $400).

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...tavor_sar_flattop_lh_sa_223_rem556_nato_165_3

Another good rifle for left handed folks is the Beretta ARX. It can be switched from left to right side ejection with the push of a button! And the charging handle switches sides easy as well. The rifle is ugly and looks like a large fish to me...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/90335/beretta_arx100_223_rfl_30rd

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Gentleman have you ever attempted to change the world? The X95 Tavor is the American sporting version of the Israeli militaries CQB [Close Quarters Battle] rifle. It is second to none in that particular role. However, this is America and occasions of close quarter battle are quite rare outside of Chicago. Lol. For the X95's price tag [$1500-$1900] the American shooter expects accuracy equivalent to a similarly price AR style sporting platform. Thus far this has not been the case. The biggest accuracy issue with both the Tavor SAR & X95 platforms has been the chrome lined barrel. Not only does chrome lining affect the accuracy there have been thermal issues with shoot groups expanding as the barrel heats up. At this time no aftermarket accurized barrels exist for either the SAR or X95. There is hope on the horizon however. I composed a letter & sent it out to several on the very best manufacturers of accurized melonited rifle barrels. In this letter I described the problem and requested help. One of these companies, Criterion Barrels Inc answered the call. Marketing Director, Josh Buege of Criterion informed me that they were indeed interested in filling this niche in the market. All they asked was that I do some of the leg work and secure enough distributors to purchase a mere 50 barrels to cover the costs of R&D, retooling & manufacture. I composed another letter which I mailed out to some of the largest gun parts distributors in the industry. Two days later the goal was met. Criterion has now officially taken up the cause & officially begun R&D on target barrels for the X95. Depending upon sales they may well expand into barrels for the SAR as well as into other Tavor calibers such as the 9mm & even .300 ACC. The days of Tavor rifles being limited in utility to close-in engagement may be numbered. An increase in accuracy will allow the rifle to become an effective close to mid-range weapon.

Problems with chrome lined barrels dated back to the late 50s when the US started doing it. It's basically having a lining that helps lengthen the life of the barrel on a military and often cyclic firearm. M1As built with USGI barrels weren't great and with tuning and handloads the best you'd get was 1 MOA. Continued on with the M16. Biggest flaw is with the Chinese attempts are chrome lined bores which flake on their M1A clones.

So you've laid out $1500-$1900 and now you want to spend more for another barrel *IF* Criterion finds it worthwhile to enter that marker?

Best Bullpup I've ever shot was the Styer, wasn't bad, wasn't great, but better than the Tavor. Bullpups aren't a bad idea, but they have a way to go before they mature. In essence you're trying to make a silk purse out of sows Ear (nothing personal). Best .223 platform you could have for that is an AR platform. With that kind of investment, you could get out to serious distance. BTW most "commercial ammo is mid range more often that not. That includes military surplus.

Best system that might have dealt with this issue was the Stoner System. which had a number of ways to use it depending on mission. since the package came with multiple barrels etc etc etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Attention!: I hereby request the full force & aid of the community. As some of you already know Criterion Barrels has taken up the cause of developing and bringing to market melonited target barrels for the SAR & X95 platforms. However in order to keep costs at manageable levels they need IWI to work with them by supplying the gas blocks & extentions. Thus far IWI's responses have been tepid & sluggish. The stateside folks seem willing but the management in Israel have been dragging their feet. I would urge you if you are reading this to join in an email campaign designed to motivate IWI's upper management into giving the green light. Even if you are one of those who have no interest in turning your CQB rifle into a tack driver I would request that you participate in order to aid those who are. If we can motivate the decision makers of IWI to lend more support to the development of aftermarket accessories for their rifles there is no telling what new and exciting innovations may follow. In the end this truly benefits all of us. Thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like bull pups, but it isn't clear what this has over a FN PS90 that already exists. 50 rounds in a very compact clip.

At the same time, you never know what or why something will sell.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An update: The project continues to progress. Last summer Criterion signed an NDA with IWI in order to secure 2 components required to reverse engineer & design a new barrel.

Once those items were obtained and the project deemed feasible it enter the rear of the R&D que. Now that a couple of Criterions 'in the works' projects have reached market the Tavor project is nearing the front of the que.

At this point Criterion is seeking to expand the R&D on the project to include cooperation with Copper Custom. However this requires that the NDA that they have in place with IWI be amended. Right now they are waiting on that approval from IWI.

Further updates shall be provided as the project moves forward. I personally am hoping that the new barrel might be available early 2019.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts