Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm looking at one of these and they have sparked an intrest. Wanting to replace a 25-06 that I traded off and looking at one of these or a savage maybe? Any one care to speak on behalf the sub-moa? I have no experience with them at all.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
They are supposed to be selected actions that when test fired were more accurate than average. I have never owned a Sub-MOA Vanguard but have owned a few standard Vanguards in the last 20+ years-all have been sub moa tack drivers.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just bought a regular vanguard for only 350 new. I havent done any reloads or serious accuracy testing yet but got under an 1.25 with factory core locks. Not sure I would spend alot of extra money on a sub moa when you can probably get sub moa out of good handloads or close to it. FYI, the vanguard triggers (at least in my case) are crap, I had to dump another 100 for a timney.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would you choose a vanguard over a new savage? What I'm looking for is a 600 yard coyote rifle. Also not stuck on the 25-06. Been thinking of maybe .243 or maybe a .260

·
Registered
288 Posts
Wouldnt be doing wrong with either. In the end, probably the weatherby gets my vote. Owned a few and all have shot and functioned very well.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I've had a Savage 243 for the last 8 years and it is a tack driver. It doesn't even have the Accutrigger but will shoot lights out. I haven't shot a Sub-MOA but from all of the articles i've read in magazines like Shooting Times, Rifle Shooter, Guns and Ammo and so on, the rifles are averaging about 3/4 inch groups. One of the test rifles shot several groups 1/2 inch and under chambered in .308. I think either rifle would be a good choice and with the new Accustock the Savage should really shoot.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a Savage 110CL in .243 that is 27 years old and is a sub-moa rifle with factory Hornady Custom loads and not a single modification ever done to it. I don't think you could go wrong with it. I don't have any experience with the Weatherbys

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I've got both for my granddaughter, a 243, and 260. (calibers, not you make of rifle) While the 260 is a great shooting rifle and will definitly do the job, if shoting yotes is all you want to do with it, my personal preference would be the 243 with 95gr Balastic tips. While the 95gr is a little much for yotes, I don't load those little bitty, super high velocity bullets because, I prefer a bullet that will hold it's own when you do get those long shots. It also makes life much simpler when you only have one balistic chart for that rifle. My old brain can't remember all those different hold overs and don't have room on the scope for a whole bunch of dope charts and keeping track of what bullet I'm shooting at the time. I'm a firm believer in KISS.

With that said though, all she wants to shoot is the 260. It's very rare to get that long of a shot on one here, but She recently droped one at 470 yds with her 260, shooting 130gr Accubonds. That's all we shoot in that rifle, for everything.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Ok I'm looking at one of these and they have sparked an intrest. Wanting to replace a 25-06 that I traded off and looking at one of these or a savage maybe? Any one care to speak on behalf the sub-moa? I have no experience with them at all.
Dollar for dollar, I doubt there's ever been a tougher choice between than these two. Almost 100%, either will shoot better than most people buying them.

Savage: Don't like the safety position. (-). Accuracy (++). Ability to swap out a barrel (+).

The MOA I have not even held in my hands, but Vanguard rifles in .270 and .30-06 that I have loaded for and shot, didn't need a MOA label.

Very tough call, you can't make a mistake.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Some very good comments made both ways here. My experience goes to the Weatherby in the .257 Weatherby chambering. After I put a Rifle Basix trigger on it it shoots very teenie groups for a long ways out; FAST!
I bought a Timney for one of my Vanguards and it took removing a little wood to fit it in the stock. The Rifle Basix didn't.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the information guys! I even think I might be replacing the cartridge with a .243. I will be using this primarily for coyotes. Here in Illinois lately all my shots have been coming in the 350 and up range. I currently use a 22-250 and it does a splendid job 350 and under but I am wanting a lil bit more wind bucking power and energy at the longer ranges. I will also be with out my 22-250 for a while since I will be sending it in to the smith for some work.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok another question when I was looking at savages web site. I really really like the model 110 predator hunter max 1. It comes in 6.5-284. I'm not looking to keep the hides but how would you guys feel about this cartridge as a varmint round? Is the ol yote a lil small for proper expansion of the 6.5mm pill? I like the model 10 predator also. But the 110 has a real nice look with the fluted barrel and comes with the accustock. I figure with savages reputation for accuracy and the reputation of the 6.5-284 it should be a real tack driver!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Definitly a nice long range cartridge. What little I got to shoot mine, it was not super impressive at 100yds, but it sure got impressive at 400 and beyound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts