Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure it has been discussed before, but I can't find any old threads concerning the use of Magnum primers in place of standard primers with the same powder and bullets.
Are their any problems other than decreasing the amount of powder to compensate for the increase in pressures with magnum primers?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
There have been many studies of varying scientific worth on the difference between using standard and magnum primers. The only undeniable truth I have seen/read is that you should definitely back off the powder charge and work up your load again. You may find standard primers give greater velocity than a magnum primer and you may find that it makes no difference, whatsoever. The only safe thing to do is follow good reloading practices and work up your load from scratch.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,408 Posts
Yeah we have a few threads, probably in the handloading topics. I'll move your post which may get more traffic there. Note, there is an automatic search feature on the forum which finds other threads of interest - see the "similar threads" at the bottom of this page. Good luck.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,894 Posts
As long as you back off the charge, there is no issue. I have a buddy that ONLY uses mag primers in all of his guns. I refuse to use them...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts