Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mauser pictured below is one of my better finished rifles. It came with the 2-7 Leu shown in the picture below. On the positive side that scope is handsome, light weight and small. On the take back side I can't see as well with it as other scopes that I have like the Zeiss, Kahles, etc. Nor is its reticule as well defined.

Please suggest a better scope model.

I have a dozen Leu's and nine extra scopes here. A 2.5-8 Conquest would satisfy my definition and reticule wants however its so big and rough looking.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I'd suggest you take a look at a VX3 2.5-8x36. Slightly larger objective, but almost exactly the same length. It is available in gloss which I think would look good on your rifle. The Vari-XII 2-7 you're using now is a bit behind Leupold's better scopes now. It has been described to me as almost identical in both glass and coatings to the new VXI. The VX3 (not VXIII) has much better glass and coatings and might be what you're looking for.

The new VX3 has the "Xtended twilight lens system" for better low light performance. And it also has the new "DiamondCoat 2" coating for superior lens protection. The adjustment system is now click positive 1/4" vs the older friction 1/2" system Leupolds carried for so many years.

I actually do like my Conquest 2.5-8x32 and think it's a really nice scope.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a VX 111 2.5-8 in matte on a rifle thats no longer a go to. True its only a 1/2" longer or so. I think I will switch them.

Later I will try to post the dimensions of the Swaro 3-9. So far I can't find the ocular diameter.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
The Z3 3-9 Swarovski is listed as 36mm objective. I'd suppose that to be an excellent scope. Do you have one of these?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I do not have a Swaro 3-9 x 36. I was looking for the diameter of the eyepiece so that it will clear the bolt. Many euro scopes are larger in diameter at the ocular. I don't think one will fit if I use the Conetrol mounts that I just got for the rifle.

I now have a problem with too low of a rear base on the Conetrol. Perhaps they will have a higher one or a higher ring? I will call them this week.

The Swaro is really expensive at near $1000 list!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
No I do not have a Swaro 3-9 x 36. I was looking for the diameter of the eyepiece so that it will clear the bolt. Many euro scopes are larger in diameter at the ocular. I don't think one will fit if I use the Conetrol mounts that I just got for the rifle.

I now have a problem with too low of a rear base on the Conetrol. Perhaps they will have a higher one or a higher ring? I will call them this week.

The Swaro is really expensive at near $1000 list!
Well, for my wallet, anyway!...lol.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thats 1.55" which is the same as a Leu's ocular. Thus it will clear the bolt.

After the replacement mount base gets here I will measure again.

The matte finish Leu 2.5-8 here is almost impossible to get the Conetrol rings on.

That Swaro Z3 3-9 costs a grand!

The ocular on a Conquest is 1.7" which is too large for this setup.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
marhunter,

Those 'Shotmetal' scopes are not at all what I want if I read the site correctly. I am after a scope that will fit on that rifle and a 2-7 Leu just about makes it.

What I am after is a scope of better quality than the Leu that will look good and fit and not a 30mm tube/50mm obj. made by China or the japs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts