Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of the Spanish Army FR7 bolt-action carbines (from the 1950s) with the 'small-ring' (1893) Mauser action and I'd like to ask if anyone can suggest a safe lower-pressure load for the .308 dimensioned cartridge that the carbine chambers ?

As best I can tell the 1893 7mm Spanish Mauser (for which the small-ring bolt-action was designed) ran with cartridge pressure maxing-out around 45,000 CUP (in the 51,000 psi range).

Hodgdon is good enough to publish pressure numbers and I feel reasonably confident that using that information for the .308 Winchester cartridge should be a safe way to load for the FR7.

Thoughts ?

- PaulN

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
For practice in the .308 I use the Speer 130 gr hollow point. Use the starting load of you favorite .308 powder.

There are a lot of opinions on this rifle's strength out there. I was unable to find any record of one failing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gentlemen;

Thanks much for the good replies.

I'm not a hunter and so anything that has enough uumph to punch holes in a target at 100 yards, and defend me against hostile prickly pear (some of them can be dangerous when wounded), is plenty good.

I'm especially intrigued at moderate pressures to minimize metal fatigue on cartridge cases. I'm the kind of guy who will drive substantially below the speed limit when on an infrequently travelled back road to get better fuel economy and the idea of getting a lot of reloads out of brass excites me.

Best Regards;

PaulN

1 - 4 of 4 Posts