1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A HOPEFUL PEOPLE -

2 Peter 3:1-13

BACKGROUND:
The Second Coming is a spiritual truth having its roots in Acts 1:9-11. But the problem that people began having lay in the fact that the Second Coming was not immediate. By the time Peter wrote his epistles, it was near the end of the first century, A.D. Jesus had been absent from earth in bodily form for decades. This despite the fact that the apostles – particularly Paul – expected that Jesus would return in their lifetime. In fact, much of the Letters to the Thessalonians dealt with the Second Coming, or the absence of it...

It is not surprising, then, that some “naysayers” would take issue with the entire Second Coming concept. It is to this issue that Peter centers the bulk of today’s lesson...

DEALING WITH SCOFFERS (2 Peter 3:1-4)

To begin with, Peter, in noting this to be his second epistle (the first being 1 Peter), states that his intention is at least in the verses before us, is to remind his readers of what they already know. This is even today a very important tool in Bible study/teaching. It is not always necessary that something new comes in such settings. In fact, it is spiritually healthy to be constantly reminded of things we already know...

Peter here is speaking specifically of the teachings of the Old Testament prophets and the New Testament (although the New Testament did not exist at this time as Scripture) Apostles. There was also an issue that Peter thought worthy of review and special note: the issue of the Second Coming as put forth by false teachers (scoffers). These groups – according to Peter – were advancing two major objections to the Second Coming prophecy. First, they point out that decades have passed and Jesus is yet to come again. Second, they observe that the normal processes of the earth continue without exception (e.g. plants and animals continue to live and die at expected times, seasons change predictably, etc.) and there are no surprises. The scoffers use these two observations to conclude that nothing of the magnitude of the Second Coming is anywhere on the horizon...

PETER’S ANSWER TO THE SCOFFERS (2 Peter 3:5-10)

Peter addressed the second objection first. He points out that the world was once covered with water (Genesis 1), and that God, through His Word, separated the waters to uncover the land. That, says Peter, shows that God can and does create momentous events. Peter then proceeds to the Noah story. He points out that because of nonbelievers, God flooded the earth and its habitation, with the exception of Noah and those on the ark, perished. Again, a momentous event...

Peter then turns to the first objection – the years that have passed and there was no Second Coming. Put simply, Peter states that time means nothing to God. A thousand years, or a day – they’re all the same to Him. Besides, says Peter (verse 9), God is not being “slack” concerning His promise of the Second Coming; rather, He is allowing more time for man to be ready for that event. It is God’s wish that all be saved. Still, that terrible day will indeed come “….as a thief in the night”. Not water, but fire...

SOME GOOD ADVICE (2 Peter 3:11-13)

Some look in fear for the Second Coming. Some look in glorious hope, knowing there are better things awaiting them. Then there are those who don’t look at all, as did the scoffers in our lesson. In which group are you?....

A

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Brother A,
Again I thank you.
Greg

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are more than welcome Brother Greg and thank you...

I have to keep holding back from what I would really like to say and I guess mostly because others don't believe the same way that I do. I believe that like the Bible says - God is the same yesterday and today and that He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. I believe in laying hands on the sick and God healing them. I believe in calling out to God with all my heart and all that I am and the powers of Heaven are given to me to serve God and do His will and His works and all things are done in the Name of Jesus - the name above all other names....

A

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You are more than welcome Brother Greg and thank you...

I have to keep holding back from what I would really like to say and I guess mostly because others don't believe the same way that I do. I believe that like the Bible says - God is the same yesterday and today and that He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. I believe in laying hands on the sick and God healing them. I believe in calling out to God with all my heart and all that I am and the powers of Heaven are given to me to serve God and do His will and His works and all things are done in the Name of Jesus - the name above all other names....

A
First, thank you for this lesson and all of them you post.

Second, your thoughts that I have quoted do not seem to be anything that I or any one else would attack. They are typical of those who hold to charismatic beliefs which are quite biblical. There is a charismatic renewal movement in the Catholic church which is strongly suppported by Rome. As far as laying on of hands is concerned, it again is quite biblical, although the examples are of Elders laying on hands and anointing rather than lay people.

If you want to add such things to your lessons I will strongly defend you and enjoy them.

What I would take exception to is the "Wealth Gospel" that comes out of the WoF movement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts