Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this idea as I was playing with chamber pressure numbers the other day for the .45acp - a cartridge I reload.

With increased chamber pressures, if there is sufficient powder, there is usually increased efficiency of the cartridge.

That led me to thinking, what would happen if I were to add a dab of superglue to the area where the bullet enters the cartridge of a .22 Long Rifle?

Probably risking a head blowout so I've not tried it.

I don't recommend you try it either.

Probably just a matter of time before I do try it. Probably right after I get a chronograph.

Just curious as to what ya'll might have to say about this practice. Has anyone ever done it? If not, have you heard of anything similar being done?

Josh

·
Registered
573 Posts
While I don't claim to be an expert on reloading I'm just a beginner, this sounds like a recipe for unexpected results. A 22LR case is about the thinnest, weakest case you can find. I doubt you want to see what happens with increased preasure. if the amo could be loaded to increased preasure you should bet a manufacturer would be doing it as flatter shooting 22 would be nice. Now as far as super glue goes. why would you want that in your bore? think tht will be easy to scrub out?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,163 Posts
Suspect the glue wouldn't stick to the lubed bullet, but I guess it would depend on if the glued dissolved the lube. Then, you could have a situation with bullets going down the bore without lube.

Don't see that it's worth the trouble, when trying a couple of different brands is probably the easiest way to get best accuracy. My opinion.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
Josh, while you're at it, take a good pair of Vise Grip pliers and really clamp down on the neck of the case, to give it a proper crimp, which should drive pressures up very nicely. (No...don't really do that. I'm KIDDING! Josh? JOSH?! :eek: )

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Nope! I won't try super-glue. There are enough variables to rimfire shooting as is. I see no need to add another?

Feel free to do so at your own risk. Post your results on this board to prove me wrong.

Cheezywan

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
nah im a gorilla duct tape man myself..super glue is not something i use on anything i can think of right now..slim
ps.. use the tape an it won t fit in the chamber.. that be a good thing ,im thinking..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.