Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here ever fired the Aguila "super Colibri" quiet .22 LR rounds? I bought a box at the gun show last weekend. They're kind of expensive (to me) at $3.00 per 50, but they are SUPER QUIET. They are listed with a 20gr bullet @500 or 600fps (can't remember exactly), using priming compound only. No powder. They're actually about the length of a .22 long, not a short, but not a LR either. I fired a few out of my Henry lever action in my basement tonight. They are actually quieter than my (chinese made) .177 air rifle! These are great, just what I was looking for. I fired them into a phone book, they penetrated maybe 1.5-2.5". Way farther than the air rifle, probably due to the much heavier bullet weight. Only prob is, I have to baby 'em to get them to feed smoothly in my Henry. Not sure if it's the rounds or the gun, so I just single load 'em. ANYBODY ELSE USE THESE YET?

SSB

·
Banned
65 Posts
singleshotbuff:

I've been shooting both the Colibri and the Super Colibri since last summer. The Colibri is supposed to be 350 fps and Ely primed while the Super Colibri is supposed to be 500 fps and I don't know about the priming. The kids and I used them both to eradicate sparrows and starlings from the fruit trees in the back yard. The Colibri is quieter than the Super Colibri, but neither one makes enough noise to even startle the birds. Your are right about them being quieter than an air rifle, mine is louder than they are. They are both very accurate within 15 to 25 yards and the kids were outshooting their old man with them. We use them in single-shots (Marlin 15Y, Chipmunk, & Contender), mostly, but they work well in revolvers too. :)

·
Banned
50 Posts
I have a marlin 81TS which is a bolt-action with a 22" barrel and tube fed. I can get a crap load 0f those colibri rounds into it and as far as noise. The hammer dropping makes more noise than the round. They sure are great for backyard use. doug

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Are these rounds really quieter than an air rifle? I shoot a relativley low-powered Gamo .22, I believe it's about 5-600 fps. It doesn't always kill the bunnies the way I'd like it to. Do you think one of these rounds might be the better answer?
Range is 20 yds or less.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kciH,

Yes, they really are quieter than an air rifle. I also believe that due to the heavier bullet (20grs vs 8-12grs) that they will kill small game much better. Mine will shoot into 1/2" 5 shot groups at 10 yards, from my Henrylever action, OFFHAND.

41Fan,

The most noise from mine is the bullets hitting the phonebook! I shoot them in the basement, and my wife thinks I'm shooting my air rifle! I love them, especially on these cold winter days when it's too cold to shoot outside. I'm gonna buy a full brick at hte next gun show.

Anyone else fired anyting as quiet? I was wondering how loud the CB caps were, as these are more available and cheaper.

SSB

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
SSBuff,
Thanks for the info. I saw these round on sale on www.cheaperthandirt.com for considerably less than was posted here earlier. $15.97/500 for Super Colibri's, about half of what you posted. Keep in mind that the priming mixture contains lead (airborne) when firing these in the basement.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys,

I bought some CCI CBs today. They (Gander Mountain) had CB, CB Shorts and CB Longs, not sure what the difference is, so I bought plain CBs. I fired them tonight. They are DEFINATELY louder than the Super Colibris. Thay also penetrate MUCH MORE than the Colibris, a few even exited the edge of the phone book I shoot into. The noise however, is still not much louder than my air rifle, according to the wife who was upstairs. I can still shoot them in the basement with no prob. They are also cheaper than the Super Colibris. I paid $4.50 for 100 versus $3.00 per 50 for the Colibris. They seem to shoot as good as the Colibris (so far, offhand), and they feed much better in my Henry lever action. As far as noise, I live in a building that contains 4 townehomes, and tonight I ask my neighbor if they heard me shooting. They said no, and being a hunter/shooter wanted to know where to get the CBs! Guess they're quiet enough!

SSB

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
need a better bullet trap

Guys,

I've been shooting the CBs today, and they're really tearing up my backstop (a dry phonebook). Anybody have plans for building a .22 bullet trap? They sell comercial models, but they're kinda expensive, at least the ones I've seen. I'd like something that dosen't make a loud noise on impact, as I'm afraid steel might. Any ideas?

SSB

·
Banned
3 Posts
I bought some Aguila Colibri ammo and tried it last night. It was $1,69 a box of 50 at a local store. It is very quite. Sounded a lot like a cap gun, maybe even quiiter. Boy they are smokey though.

There are quite a few deelers that handle Aquila ammo nowadays so you don't have to go on line. Find a local deeler at http://www.aguilaammo.com/

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
michaeln,

Thanks for the link, I found a local dealer. I'll go there saturday and see what their price is. I do prefer the super colibri to the CB as far as noise, but the CB feeds better. Both rounds shoot great out of my Henry lever action, typically 1/2-3/4" at 25ft. Offhand. I guess it'll come down to price on which one I use. Thanks again.

SSB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts