Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with the rings on their .454 Super Redhawk? I've decided to try a 2x Leupold on mine. Seems like I read somewhere that someone had their frame marred from the rings slipping under recoil. Also, has anyone removed and reinstalled their scope and then fired the revolver to see how close the scope returned to zero?
Dave Saye

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
I haven't used rings on any handgun but have two Ruger rifles, one a .257 Roberts and the other a .338.  Neither has given me problems with the rings and as far as I can tell they return perfectly to zero.  Ring design for rifles and handguns appears to be the same.

Only thing I can think of is, be sure that the ring is pushed to the front of the slot when it is tightened, so that it could not slip any further forward under recoil.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dave,

Go get yourself some of the blue lok-tite.  I had problems with the scope rings coming loose after 4-5 shots.  I have had good results with putting the scope back on the gun and having it remain zeroed.  Just have to carry my "screw glue".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Dave,

I have used the Ruger rings with my Redhawk with a Bushnell 2X Trophy. I shoot only heavy loads with my Redhawk and after about 30 rounds, one of the rings ate into the scope for some reason. By the time I discovered, the ring has cut too deep into the scope. I would not even consider using those Ruger rings on my 454 SRH as the brutal recoil will likely to trash it quickly. I suggest that you get a Weigand SRH Weaver mount and get a set of quality rings from Leupold to protect your scope.  

Good luck!
ming

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had problems with my scope slipping in the rings.  I ended up using a very small amount of contact glue inside the rings and I changed the screws out for screws with the torx end on them.  I couldnt get enough strength with the slotted screws.  I shot over 100 shots and havent noticed anything wrong yet.  It was on a windy day so I couldnt tell if the shot strings were changing.  But at 50 yards I could cover up each string with my hand so I guess that isnt bad in a 10mph wind with gusts up to about 30.  I just had to check and see if the scope moved.  I will check again in a few days if the wind will ever die down enough.

I have heard of using nail polish on the screws too.  I tried but with no luck.  I dont think that the nail polish I was using was any good though.

I have heard that Leupold makes a good set of rings specifically for the Super Redhawk.  If I continue with the problems I am going to give them a try.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I saw a SRH 454 that came back thru a local gunshop a year or so ago.  The owner had used Burris rings; the rings had slipped, severely marring the frame.  The recoil of that combo leaves little room for error or bad engineering...
Good shooting
Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dave,

I have SRH in 454 and 480.  There is no loosening of my bases or scope slippage even after extended shooting sesion. Ruger mouns are not perfect but you can make them work. I first mounted them without scope making sure that they were fully seated. Than I tightened them. After that I removed them and inspected inprint in frame cutout co confirm that tooth of the screw gripping frame was engaged on full width of the tooth. If tooth is not properly rotated, only one side of the tooth wil grip frame and during shooting it will creep up or forward cutting in the frame. I have 1" round stainles steel bar that I use to lap scope mounts on rifles and in this instance I used it on ruger mounts. I reinstalled mounts back on the frame making sure that they are fully seated and tight. I installed shims betwen scope ring halves and tighten them to the point that I had small clearance for 1" round bar. I used lapping compound to shape inside of the rings to make sure they are round and that there will be at least 80% of bottom half surface that will contact scope. You do not have to worry much abouth top halves only make sure you will always install them the same way means you will not rotate them or swap. You will be surprised how little of the ring surface is actually touching scope if you do not lap it. Only than install the scope. Check and tighten screws between first shots and you will be OK. Do not use Lock tite on scope mouns. Properly installed mount will stay tight. Loose screws are not indication that screws are rotating counterclockwise. It only indicates that mount is moving and screws need to be further tightened. Lock tite will not help you here.  Beside you will have horible time to loosen screws if you use locktite. My friend did experimen with Burris mounts on his 44 mag. SRH and that resulted in ugly cuts into the frame. I think ruger mounts are your best bet short of drilling.
Lilgun

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have had a 2X leupold on my .44 Superedhawk for 4 years and have had no problems. I have taken it off the gun by just loosening the rings from the gun with scope in the still and remounted them several times and it has always shot back to point of aim.  I am probably not getting the kind of recoil that you are getting but this system as worked well for me. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts