Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was experimenting for a while now with hodgdons superformance powders and have worked up some loads and had some high pressure situations also. i found that my 300 wm loves 69 grains under a 168 amax. i don't wanna publish to much data because i herd there are diferent brews of superformance powders. in one of my manuals it was classed as a faster than h4350 and another was well slower so its a tricky powder with minimal load data out there. so today i though i would buy a box of superformance varmint in 243 to see what they load it to. the results are clear but there are somethings that sketch me out about it. there is way to much to write so i made a vid that shows my findings.

the video link is to my youtube channel where i uploaded the video:
Hornady Superformance Varmint ammo dissection - YouTube

please comment any data you guys have in regards to superformance powders. in my area my regular powders are impossible to get and everyone has lots of superformance on hand so i wanna test the stuff for all my cartridges. and so far i have loads for 223, 243, 308, 300 wm.

thanks for your time and help guys

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
The Super powder you can buy in the store is in fact different and is blended for a wide range of cartridges. The Super powder Hornady uses is in fact a special blend that is blended for each individual cartridge that they load with it. You cannot reproduce their numbers with the over the counter stuff, that is one reason the powder out of the case appears to be a different color. I wouldn't try to take the same amount of powder you bought and use that for your load according to what you poured out of the 243 case. You could have some problems to say the least. The video was done quite well and very informative though and I enjoyed watching it. Some others with more knowledge and experience will hopefully come along soon and maybe they can help you out more. You might not be able to get faster loads for the 300 WM using the Superformance powder and the Varget and H4350 I think is what you said, may in indeed be better for it. Once again please don't use the same weight load for any of your 243 loads as the factory ammo. Best to ya !

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks fred i won't load to their specs and getting info on burn rates for that powder is also a hit and miss kinda deal. i loaded some 300 wm test load based on burnrate comparison and know data and had severe high pressure to the point i couldn't hit the bolt open on my 300. huge caution flags went up and the burn rates i found to differ everywhere i looked. so based on volume and pressure sings i'm putting superformance a bit slower than H4350 but slower than H1000. i had no sighns of pressure with 67 to 72gr super with 168 amax but my 208 load with 72 locked the bolt up. from what i remember (notes are in my loading bench downstairs) i think 67gr super with 208 was fine.

here is the 208 bthp stinky bolt video. lucky nothing happened.
REMINGTON 770 300 WIN MAG LOAD WORKUP TO STICKY BOLT - YouTube

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
What powders can you not find, just curious ? I know everything is hard to find for the most part. Vihtavuori N560 is a high energy powder that Viht is showing good for the 300 WM and their data lists a 167gr bullet right at 3100 fps ( just a hair under that number ), the N500 series of powders are hard to find as well although I'm not sure about the N560. I've looked for the N550 for about a year with no luck. The N560 has a burn rate between N160 and N165 and is close to Norma MRP and Reloader 22.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the stuff i have had the best luck is H4350 67gr under 208 BTHP at 2850 and 75gr H1000 at 2880 with 208 bthp's. i started with H4350 but that was impossible to get for a while so i worked up another load for H1000 and now i find H1000 is more consistent in my 300wm. but H4350, superformance, 3031, and varget are all hit and miss if i can get them lately and those are my powders i had to test with because i couldnt get anything else. Canada is getting slim on powders for about a year now. US gets first dibs on it and bullets too. I like to pick a bullet and test a couple powders then stay with that load forever but due to the shortage i find myself constantly working up new loads or new bullets which is a huge waste of time and money. i find to get something working mint takes about 50 loaded cartridges of test ammo then i have 50 to shoot with before i have to do it all over again. totally sucks because this means finding new dope as well. even if the fps are the same with same bullets but different powders the dope is different from harmonics im guessing. kinda just want to know what my cold bore shot is gonna be for once. i just ran out of bullets for my win mag so im just gonna wait till more come in because i have dope for that rifle to 1300 yards and over a grand in ammo getting there. and thats the one rifle i know will hit its mark with the dope on cold bore. i have a video on my youtube channel (RINGET421) of me cold bore 1274 yards to a 20lbs. propane tank hit 4 out of 6 shots with my budget long range project Remington 770. have a look if you want. the name of the video is REMINGTON 770 LONG RANGE 1250 YARDS BUDGET BUILD thanks for the response fred

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,021 Posts
According to Hodgdon, you should only use the Superformance powders in cartridges they have listed on their reloading site. I wouldn't go winging and trying to develop loads for those not listed.

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
thanks fred i won't load to their specs and getting info on burn rates for that powder is also a hit and miss kinda deal.
I'm not sure why this is hard to grasp, but there is no "single" Superformance powder, in their line of loaded ammunition. That's why the info on burn rate is not consistent.

The stuff you buy over the counter is NOT what's found in their loaded ammo. Your writing and the videos imply that you can extrapolate load data based on the amount of powder you found in factory ammo or from burn rate charts. The fact of the matter is you can NEVER do this, with any real margin of safety.

Use published load data and avoid damaging your rifle, or worse.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya broom_jm i know what you are saying but when i was looking up burn rates for the over the counter powder hodgdon said one think and loading manuals said another and online burn rate charts class them different again. I did a lot of reading last night and like everyone says factory ammo is a special blend for each caliber they load for but why am i getting huge burn rate swings on rate charts. i thought those charts are for people loading their own. really i don't care what hornady's burn rates are because i'll never have access to that powder. i just wanted to know the over the counter powder burn rate. i have safe loads for 223 243 308 and 300 wm now but it got sketchy once.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Burn rate charts are a guide, powder seems to switch places on the chart depending on what cartridge you are loading for.

·
The Shadow
7,667 Posts
ya broom_jm i know what you are saying...
I did a lot of reading last night and like everyone says factory ammo is a special blend for each caliber they load for but why am i getting huge burn rate swings
Obviously you don't know what he told you. NO factory ammo uses canister grade powder. ONLY canister grade powder is sold to the reloader. Hornady doesn't call General Dynamics and ask for H4350, so it can load some Creedmoor ammo. It calls GD and asks for a powder that will fit a specific pressure curve, in a specific setting.

I have a few kegs of Win760. Just built a Creedmoor, and looked-up data from Hodgdon's site. 40.5gr is max with a 140gr.
Open my Hornady #9 and that is the starting load.
So who's right? Both, depends upon the lots used. Is that a big swing? Well, again since Hodgdon REFUSES to list nominal BD, or VMD #'s.....

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
A lot of folks look at the burn rate charts and they see something linear or incremental; nothing could be further from the the truth. Some powders will be right next to one another because they are essentially identical (H110/W296) while others that are very close on the burn rate chart are actually quite different in their characteristics.

The Superformance powder is even worse, as there is no single formulation. You are seeking to apply logic and extrapolate load data, when Hornady has specifically warned reloaders NOT to do so with this particular powder. You are on the most slippery of slopes, as evidenced by having to hammer open your bolt-action rifle. One would think that would be sufficient discouragement from further experiments, but evidently not?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,912 Posts
Powders that clean your rifle/pistol while you shoot, powders that work from -50 to 120, powders that prevent diaper rash.

Except for the last one, color me skeptical. I've spent too much money and time developing the loads my rifles make teeny weeny holes with. I'm not changing now.

RJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts