Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

While we're talking supressors, is it legal to hunt with them???

Lobo in the Snowy Mountains of West Virginia

·
Banned
604 Posts
I think Boliva allows them ... but not in this country.

·
Registered
573 Posts
In the thread on Hog hunting there was a post regarding hogs, night vission and a suppressor...

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,915 Posts
Google your state game & fish for appropiate regulations on this question. They vary from state to state.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I don't see anything in Idaho's weapons restrictions (in the big game 2009 regs from Fish and Game) about suppressors. Automatic weapons are prohibited, as are firearms which, in combination with sling, scope, and/or any attachments weighs more than 16 lbs.

So, it looks like we're allowed to be polite to our neighbors here! (i.e. not deafen them with our rifles' report)

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Maybe I could sue the state for my hearing loss... if they had just let me use my suppressors, I wouldn't be in this unfortunate situation! :)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,115 Posts
Not in Texas, no full auto and no suppressors
With pigs, anything you can legally own. They are not considered a game animal, just a nuisance!

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
As best as I can tell, the game laws about supressors is about enforcment of the laws (allows enforcment officers to hear direction and distance to the shot).

Game animals don't much care. When they hear it, it's too late to take any evasive action.

Cheezywan

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Just went through this in my home state of South Dakota. After checking various legal status sections of the codified laws could find nothing pertaining to suppressors and there use for hunting.. Took the bull by the horns and called the SD Game Fish & Parks legal department talking to the head legal officer. Was informed there is nothing on state books against hunting with them on either varmits or big game. He even joked that the cows would appreciate the silence better and give more milk. Some areas of the state have urban housing developments encroaching on formerly dog town infested range lands and they want control but not the noise so were appreciated in those areas.

In my searching found every state has there own laws pertaining to use. You need to check your state laws very closely before use.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,115 Posts
Yeah, probably not the best idea, but the ranch south of our lease has been spotlighting hogs during the season..... not illegal, just not good manners. All sorts of pigs are showing up!

Apparently the game warden knew about it and it wasn't illegal. Heck using silencers would have probably been an improvement.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I sent an email to the Colorado DOW asking about using a suppressors here as I couldn't find anything about it in the regs. Basically I got a reponse saying that suppressors were heavily regulated by the feds and to make sure that any suppressor is properly and legally owned.

Bottom line I didn't get a no, but I also didn't really get a yes. I had been thinking about gettinga suppressed .22 to use while archery hunting to take dusky grouse without spooky nearby big game. So far I haven't bought a suppressor yet and am not sure I would use one here without a more specific answer.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
If its not spelled out exactly in the regulations, and you are legal about procurement, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The use of silencers for hunting is not allowed in Texas.
I know a surprising number of people who have NFA licensed silencers. They are quite popular. Here is an interesting bit from Field and Stream, June 1909

THE invention of the Maxim silencer for firearms marked a new era in the manufacture of such weapons, and while many cautious critics were appalled at the idea of a firearm which could send its missile for 100 yards or half a mile with comparatively no sound from the discharge, the history of the months which have elapsed since the production of this device shows no instances of its use by midnight assassins or other law breakers. It has also been claimed that the use of the silencer would enable a more speedy destruction of our already fast disappearing game; but, aside from the employment of the silencer in hunting, it has a value which none can dispute, for it certainly will permit target practice with small caliber rifles where with the ordinary unequipped firearm such practice would be impossible. Under present conditions any flat dweller in the crowded cities may have his own rifle range and practice to an unlimited extent without disturbing his neighbors. The invention of smokeless powder has done away with one objection to indoor rifle practice, and now we have the feature of noise eliminated. Here, at least, the Maxim silencer has a use and a value which cannot be over-rated. Sales of this device were at first hindered to some extent by the fact that the barrel of the rifle must be threaded to receive the silencer which in many cases would have necessitated sending the rifle to the factory or some distant machinist. The Maxim coupling, here illustrated, has since been devised, applicable to the .22 caliber silencer and the attachment to practically any standard .22 rifle may be made by any one in five minutes. The coupling screws into the silencer, and slips over the muzzle of the arm, requiring in any case only the introduction of cylindrical metal bushing to secure a driving fit. Descriptive circular may be had of the Maxim Silent Firearms Co., 38 Park Row, New York.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I could see the future making supressors manditory and actually forcing us to use them. A bad idea? I don't know either way.:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you need to reduce your guns noise from a fixed position, like at a private shooting range, there are some easily made noise suppressors possible. Some people line up a bunch of old car tires and shoot through them. It works.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts