Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent mfg. Win 70 rifle was left in a gun case and now has light rust on the barrel on one side. This rifle has a black finish. The barrels interior also has light rust. Your suggestions would be appreciated. :(

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
ihk,

Any good gun oil and 0000 steel wool is always the answer to this problem. Don't use any coarser than 000. If this doesn't do a job to satisfy you, then a re-blue is the only answer.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,228 Posts
Agreed, Break-free and 0000 steel wool will make it shine like new. Note, Break-Free keeps on cleaning after you leave it on the gun, so rub it a bit every day for a few days to get the last bit of rust off.

If it's pitted enough that you can tell, I'd consider bead-blasting it before the reblue.

And in the barrel, wrap the same steel wool w/Break-Free around a brass/bronze/nylon brush and give it a good scrubbing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
surface rust

Thanks for your replys. I just don't understand how someone could leave this rifle in a gun case and forget about it. I have used steel wool on older rifles, but haven't messed with this type of blueing before. What type of blueing is this? Can an amateur like me, duplicate this with partial blueing of the barrel (or return to the factory)? This rifle is a Safari Express 375 H&H, synthetic stock, that I picked up last weekend very reasonable (serial # G2095XXX). It doesn't look like a scope has been mounted on it. It looked new, excluding the rust. Definitely a candidate for lead projectiles. Not too many large critters around here, but I couldn't resist. No full-power loads needed for deer around here!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
ikh,

Being a current production gun, odds are the finish is a standard nitrate blue over bead blasting. This assumes the finish looks somewhat like black velvet. Actually, a matte finish was standard on M-70 for quite a long while.

Cleaning a matte finish is the same as a gloss finish as described above. You may see "freckles" in the finish after cleaning. You'll know what I mean when you see them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts