1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
The last M1 Carbines were made in 1945. Some M1 Garands were made during the Korean War. All qualify as C&Rs and are part of our history. The US gave to Korea over 1 million of the 6.2 million M1 Carbines between 1960-77'. I just purchased one of the last M1 Carbines from CMP last month (German/Austrian lend lease).

CD

·
Registered
978 Posts
I wanted a cheap one just to collect it and shoot it for fun, but, I can't afford the price
of what they go for currently. I would love to have a cheap Korean one.

·
Registered
676 Posts
"The transfer of such a large number of weapons -- 87,310 M1 Garands and 770,160 M1 Carbines -- could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes," the spokesman told FoxNews.com.
Let me guess the favorite weapon and caliber by gang bangers for their drive by shootings and liquor store hold ups.

Oh say can you see all the insanity in DC.

Seriously by his view they would fall into the wrong hands. Veterans, mostly Christians, mostly rural, mostly conservative, absolutely the worst thing that could happen to those guns from his perspective.

I think I'm going to go outside and shoot something before it gets to dark. I need the pressure relief.

·
Banned
426 Posts
Destroying them seems ridiculous! Crazy times. I doubt that they would be all gobbled up by criminals. I don't see that as real, you don't see alot of those in movies, the news or other media used by gangs. Just a trick!

·
Registered
978 Posts
> Maybe the gun dealers don't want a flood of cheap guns on the market?

Cheap guns mean more customers and selling more ammo. I want one to collect one, not one to spend $1000+ on. It means additional money vs. no money spent.

·
Registered
704 Posts
In 1965 when patroling Vietnam coastal waters the only small arms on our ship were M1 carbines, M1 Garands, 03A3's, thompson machine guns, BAR's (20 lbs with 20 rounds) and 45 autos. Oh ya we had 8, 50 cal machine guns mounted around the main and upper deck ( small arms?). Target practice from the ships fantail was fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Too bad we can't bring Ronnie back...
At least he allowed 200,000 to come in from Korea, not so with the currrent leadership. Thats really sad too, since the M1 was from such a pivotal period in our history.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Probably has something too do with the four million new gun owners annually statistic I ran across this past week. That's a potentially powerfull political group of individuals that could cause problems in the future for current politians. Typical trying too shut the barn door after the horses got out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My information comes from an individual in the Civilian Marksmanship Program with whom I spoke about a week ago. This is the organization that would doubtless be selling the rifles to qualified and law-abiding citizens if they were in fact re-imported. My source said that this issue is being very inaccurately reported in the press.

According to him, the matter began during one of the Clinton administrations and has continued under Bush and now Obama. Apparently during or about the Korean war, the U.S. *sold* a quantity of M1 Garands to the Korean government and *issued* another quantity. The ones that were issued were supposed to be returned to the U.S. when the Koreans no longer needed them. The way it was told to me, the Koreans are saying that all the ones we issued them were lost or destroyed and that all they have left are the ones they bought. That means they can and should sell them back to us if we want them. Our government is taking the position that the issued inventory has to be returned before that can happen. The "no-sale" is actually based on that impasse.

My source is in a position to know, but I'm not comfortable quoting him by name without his permission, which I don't have. You may take this for what it's worth.

Best,

Trad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts