Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering some surplus pistol powder wc820(h110) for $55 per 8 pound keg and a chronograph for testing purposes.anyone have any experience with surplus powder?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have no personal experience, but some of the knowledgeable guys over at Shooters.com Talk say that WC820 is closer to AA#9 than H110.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Right you are Ima.

Use AA9 load data as WC 820 runs faster than H110/296.

In the 44Mag with a BTB 280 WFN, I've found it about 2 to 2.5 grs faster than H110/296 by velocity readings. Meaning, WC820 will do about the same velocities with 2 to 2.5 grs. less powder.

WC 820 tends to have a steeper pressure curve also as bullet weight increases past 280 grs. or so. There H110/296 is better suited with the heavyweights.

WC 820 is an extremely clean burning fine grained powder at an excellent price. It's also easily ignited with a standard primer like the Federals in my experience and doesn't seem to be afflicted with the lower load density problems that can occur with H110/296.

You'll be glad you bought some.

Have Fun

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
1badmagnum,

Last year, based on Contender's experience and assistance, I bought my first surplus powder, 8lbs. of pulled WC820 and can confirm what Contender indicated above, great stuff. I tested (velocity and accuracy) the WC820 with H110 and W296 and got my most accurate results with the WC820...and as Contender indicated, better velocity with less powder. My Ruger SuperBlackhawk with 265gr. SWC GC matched H110 velocity with 1.0 less powder. As you know, each batch can vary, so be careful where you start your powder amounts.

Dan

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys

my de requires between 29.5-32.5 grains of h110.my most accurate loads are usually 30-31 grains.I heard people loading way above 32.5 grains,and since I had no experience I was thinking of starting at 29 grains under a 325 grain speer jhp.you guys think I should start a little lower hmmm..guess 1more grain would be ok,this is where a chrono will come in handy.thanks for the reply's,I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The maximum load for AA9 in your 50 AE is 23.8 grains. 28 grains to start is HIGH. Please rethink your starting weight... it's easier to type your range report with all 10 fingers.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got the message

ok I will head your advice and start at the lower aa#9 figure.I imagine low pressure would prevent the action from cycling properly,and high pressure would result in deformation of the case mouths.anything else? I will definately be buying a chrono to keep a track of my velocities.my buddy works at the range where I shoot,and they have been letting me shoot in the private range for law enforcement.this gives me less people to deal with,better safety,and the opportunity to set up a chrono.any reccommendations on a chrono?
thanks again for the help,you most likely saved me a few fingers !

·
Registered
342 Posts
For a chronograph I have a Chrony F1 Master. But that's only 'cause it was a cheap way in. An associate has a ProChrono and it is a much nicer unit. I just couldn't stand the cost.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Along these same lines, I was thinking of picking up 7lbs of powder that the seller Jeff Bartlett claims is equivelent to AA#7 I don't have a chrony so would I be safe using the starting loads from Accurate Arm's website or should I leave the surplus powders to more experienced/better equipped loaders?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,237 Posts
I got some of his AA#2 and found it to work as advertised. However, you would be prudent to check some loads for velocity if loading above starting levels. If you don't own a chronograph, perhaps you can borrow one for a shooting session.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Bartlett is a good guy and so is High-Tech. As a matter of fact it's a known fact that Reps for AA are at these these same Gov't powder auctions as Bartlet and High-Tech among others. Many of AA's powders are surplus and relabled.

Only difference is that AA and Hodgdon have the fully staffed ballistic labs and can publish tested load data for their specific powders. Where Hodgdon will attempt to have a popular surplus powder newly manufactured after stocks run out, AA will just move on to the next batch and keep their "stock" powders.

Just remember that these surplus powders are non-canister grade so some batches can differ greatly from lot to lot over the blended canister types on both the fast and slow side. I know of some surplus batches of 4198 out there that are quite slow indeed.

Get a chrono.

Regards

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
1BadMagnum,
I've been using a Oehler Research model 35(35P if you want the printer) for about 10 years now and reccomend it highly. You can add the proof channel sky screen and printer to this model after you have purchased the base model if you desire. This is one of the few electronic items I have owned for 10 years that still works. The printer is a very handy addition to this chronograph because it records all shots and lets you focus on your shooting.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shot my first 10 rounds last night starting at 24 grains,and these rounds were very accurate.will setup my chrony this weekend to check velocities.the powder measures nicely,and was very mild shooting.thanks for the heads up on the surplus powder and the loading data.

·
Registered
107 Posts
High-Tech? Contact info please!

Question for Contender-

You mentioned Jeff Bartlett & High-Tech as a source for surplus powder. Could you please advise their contact information?

Thanks-

Sky C.
Longmont, CO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts