Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
507 Posts
I don't like getting manuals on disk or via downloads, if I have to survive, I may not have a computer or the laptops battery will die when I need some critical info.

Just my 2 Cents Worth,

Jerry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jerry,
I think along the same lines and would rather have the printed version also. I had a bunch of older manuals when my relatives were in the service but they're long gone. If anything, I would print one up every once in a while for a good bathroom read.

·
Banned
507 Posts
I have the Ranger pocket survival guides that I bought at a gun show, they fit in my Day Pack well. The best was $5.99, figure the cost of the disk and the cost of paper with ink and which is cheaper?

Jerry

·
Banned
507 Posts
I can say for the current editions but the Boy Scout Handbook from the 60s has a lot of useful information in it about living out doors.

Jerry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A friend of mine had copies of Fema books back in the 80s...the good stuff. Now go to Fema's website...haha! In his words, they want us to die. The Disaster Preparedness Coloring Book just doesn't do it for me. I'm going to get the guy's CDs and I'll let you know how they are.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Maybe you should think about getting a subscription to the The Backwoodsman,

http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/

There is a lot about living in a more primitive fashion in that magazine that would help you survive in the great out od doors than many of the suvuval manuals I have seen.

Jerry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Jerry,
Great site! There's a lot of information on there.
I used to get the Backwoodsman a while back but let it lapse some time ago...I dropped hints and I'm getting a subscription for Valentine's Day from my girlfriend.
I received the disks in good time from the vendor. Unfortunately, my old tower doesn't have a DVD/CD player - just a CDROM - so I'll have to get a new cheap aftermarket DVD in order to view them. I did try them on a friend's computer and they look great! I have enough new reading material a lifetime!

·
Banned
507 Posts
Lets hope you don't have to use that knowledge anytime soon.

Jerry

·
Banned
507 Posts
Most of that stuff, I probably know how to do. I can grow it and can it. If I have to hunt it or trap it, I can skin it, butcher it and cook it.

I can live with out electricity for an extended period of time, I can hold off possible gangs trying to attack and loot my farm. These are common sense things, as well as going out and doin it.

How much food do you have on hand? How many Candles do you keep handy? The list can go on for a few pages.

Read Learn, Do!

Jerry

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like my old boy scout manual as well as discards of old books sold by local libraries making room

·
Banned
507 Posts
My Boy Scout handbook has served me very well over the years, first in Scouting, then in the Army and finally now.

Jerry

·
Registered
473 Posts
I can live with out electricity for an extended period of time, I can hold off possible gangs trying to attack and loot my farm. These are common sense things, as well as going out and doin it.

Jerry
I have lived without electricity from 1978 - 1982 and then from about 1986 - 1995, I could do it again if I had to, but I would really hate to do so.

Michael Grace

1 - 16 of 16 Posts