Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see a bullet swaging forum, probably because not too many people do it, so I put this in here. I'm considering the purchase of a Corbin swaging press and the first set of dies I'm going to get, if I decide to make the investment, will be for the .32Mag & 32-20 because I love to shoot em. I'm going to get the three die set so I can make a variety of bullet types, but the first will be the pure lead swaged bullets with the base guard. These bullets are supposed to be able to be driven in the neighborhood of 1400 pfs with NO leading. With pure lead this would make for an awesome small game/coyote load in various weights, as the expansion of dead-soft lead would likely be great. Does any of you have experience with these bullets. Good, bad, or ugly, I want to hear it if you know it. I will likely get the round nose type of point forming dies as it will enable the use of heavier bullets in the revolver than would a truncated cone design that is readily available from the big mfg's. This bullet style would also work well in a 1894CL, if I can ever find one for less than a king's ransom. It will be an additional plus that a cannelure, if used, can be set at any length to suit the individual firearm for maximized case capacity. Maybe some bonded core lightwieghts for the 32-20 which can be made to absolutely COOK out of my Buckeye convertible. What are your thought on these bullet types?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Pure lead is worthless beyond about 700 fpsand you'll have to dig lots of leading out of your barrel. I've been casting for 30 plus years and though I'm not the authority on the subject... I started off with swaged bullets, I also make jacketed bullets. swaged cores for jacketed bullets are far better than cast cores because of variances in alloys. a final thought, if you're paperpatching those little swaged bullets, I'd love to try some! swampdoc.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The base guard bullet was to known as the Harvey Bullet (Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook ed. no. 1). cast in pure lead with a zinc washer attached to the base. I have driven them at magnum velocitys in a Thomen Center 44 magnum single shot handgun. No problem with leading just some fine wisps of fouling that brushed out with a dry brush.

Shot them out of my 9mm and a 357 mag no problems encountered. It all depends on your barrel if it's rough and fowls with jacketed stuff you can expect the same results with the base guard bullets.

Years ago there was a Co. called Sportflight that made dies that would attach a zinc washer to the base of swaged bullets. also would make the half jacket bullet. I also think Clymer Reamer Co. at one time made the same die's for swaging half jackets and zinc base bullets.

Anyway the zinc washer go's down the barrel giving it a scraping action and a thin coat of zinc. That helps to prevent leading. The pure lead expands perfectly.

By the way this is not new technology the same thing was used during the civil war in the 58 springfields, using a bullet with a zinc or copper scraper bullet to remove the blackpowder fowling.

If you wish to try something different - go for it the results on game are spectacular. Drive at any veloicty you want when you start to lead then back off. Good Luck TF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts