Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm shopping for a new press.

A couple years ago, I was mildly interested in swaging. I wrote and asked three [edit: now considerably more than three] press manufacturers one question: "Can your press be used to swage bullets?"

These are the responses I received:

Hornady: (The new Iron Press)

Mr. [Jammer], we have not tested the press under bullet swaging pressures. We would not be able to stand behind the warrantee of the press if this is what you were going to do with it. Thanks

Forster: (Co-ax press)

Thank you for contacting us about this question, unfortunately the press does not yet have the capabilities for that. Thank you for your interest and we will most certainly take that into account with future research and development.

CH 4D (H press)

No problem with the current steel frame ones. I would not recommend the earlier aluminum frame 444 presses for swaging. Having said that, the heavyweight Champion still has more leverage than any of the other presses

Ballistic Products (Metallic II press)

Reloading presses are not designed for swaging. A select few calibers and bullet styles can be made on certain presses, but it is highly recommended that you use an actual Swaging Press. You can call the Metallic II's manufacturer directly at 1-800-732-0706 with questions regarding their product.

Redding (T-7 press)

Thank you for your interest in Redding Reloading Equipment. Redding's presses are designed for reloading metallic cartridges and will give you a lifetime of service. However they will not hold up the added force required for bullet swaging. Our presses have enough leverage for bullet swaging but the added force will prematurely ware out the linkage. There is a good reason why the Corbin bullet swaging presses cost as much as they do.

RCBS (Rock Chucker)

We do sell a Rock Chucker press with a solid ram for bullet swaging. There is no provision for priming on this press. The part number is 57190 and it sells for $336.95 plus s/h.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If swaging bullets was what I wanted to do I would be looking for a press advertised to do the job. Something like the CH4D Rock Crusher or a Corbin product.

·
Premium Member
14,819 Posts
RCBS stands for Rock Chucker Bullet Swage

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ballistic and Redding responses added. RCBS (and a couple others) has not responded.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RCBS response added.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Definitely spend some time at the Corbin site to get a perspective on swaging, including the equipment and what can be accomplished. I don't see anyone else that even comes close to being as serious about making bullets that way--and I think the folks you're talking to are just not that interested, serious or experienced in actually doing the work. I don't know...that's just my unfounded impression.

·
Premium Member
14,819 Posts
Corbin makes bullets, the rest make reloaders.

Fred Hunnington of RCBS was a great friend of the gunsmith's school and sold us presses and dies from the trunk of his Cadillac about twice a year. His story of the invention of the original A-2 press was told each time with great gusto. At the time, Sisk was making bullets from .22LR cases but when Fred tried it on a C press the bases were crooked. The block O frame press came from that. The double leverage system with side arms came from a coin press he saw in an arcade as a kid. He demonstrated the unique qualities of the A-2 by carrying one into the patent office in a wheelbarrow with dies, primers, bullets and powder and proceeded to demonstrate loading a rifle cartridge while sitting on the floor with the press in his lap. He challenged them to do that with any other press on earth and got his patent when they understood his message. That was his story, anyhow.

Reloading presses sacrifice force for the sake of stroke. Bullet presses don't sacrifice anything and have many times the force because the ram stroke is short and the handle stroke is long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts