Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking around cast bullet forems, picking up some info. I don't plan to "roll my own", just purchase hard cast for hand guns. I keep coming up with this "swaged or swagging term, and I am at a loss what this refers to. Could you people enlighten this newbe?
Jim

·
Super Moderator
9,489 Posts
Are at least two types of swaged bullets: commercial soft lead and specialized (usually individual hobbiest) swaged harder lead. The big compaines swage lead bullets of about the same hardness as .22RF bullets...pretty soft by today's standards, but they are designed to be used in lower pressure loads and they work well there. Are specailized presses that can swaged hard lead...Corbin sold them..and some hobbiest have swaged pretty hard bullets (in fact, the hydralic unit can swage all-copper slugs).

What swaging does is squeeze a nondescript slug of lead into neary any bullet shape you can think of (each set of dies being made for one specific shape). It's pretty much the eay jacketed bullets are formed. Apply pressure in a shaped die, the lead 9or lead and jacket material, is forced to conform to the shape of that die.

Cup of jacket material, slug of lead, insert into various dies,each aplies pressure and forms part of the final shape. Great way to make jacketed bullets...but expesnive and each die is specific to one task....so you get one basic design with each set of dies.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sure!- Swaged bullets are formed by injecting cold lead alloy into a form (kinda like the Play-Doh Fun Factory). They usually, but not always show knurling on the shank where a tumble-lube type bullet lube has been applied. By necessity, they are normally quite soft, and only suitable for low velocity loads. Don't be fooled by so-called "high-antimony" hard swaged bullets. They're a little harder than standard swaged, but not much. ==Bob

·
Super Moderator
9,489 Posts
May also hear the term (Swaging) in reference to pressing two parts together...usually a semi-permanent way of fixing two metsl parts. Sights have been "swaged" to barrels, pins to recieving holes, etc. Just another way of using the term from pressing one piece of metal into another (not just lead into a die...but the same idea...one metal conforming to the shape of the one it's pressed into).

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,315 Posts
Another way to think if it:

Swaging is cold-forming (basically room temperature although forming metal at any temperature under the melting point would be considered swaging as well).

Casting is forming out of molten metal. Pour into a mould and let it cool.

The other guys gave pretty good descriptions of bullet making processes so I don't need to add anything else.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Make a die/mold, put billet of lead in it, add 50,000 to 100,000 Pounds per square inch, you have what ever shape your die/mold is.
With corbin swaging dies you have cyclinder of the desired diameter, there's two plugs one at each end of the cyclinder, one shapes the bullet nose and the other shapes the bullet base. Some where in the die is a couple bleed holes for excess lead to extrude out of rather then breaking the die.
I use the cast bullets I don't think are acceptable for my lead billets for swaging. The Corbin machine will easily swage Wheel weights.
Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts