Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Ive seen it all! Little Hank, a Bronze Star "Tunnel Rat" in Nam, got out of the VA hospital Friday. I fixed him and big pot of venison chilli yesterday. After dinner he wanted to drive out to Burnt Island camp and show me this deal they had set up to test penetration. I had been talking with them for some time about Beartooth Bullets. On the way out I started smelling a rat! This bunch doesn't go for fancy computer calculations, so I knew something was up. When we arrived, I saw the whole bunch standing around a huge empty tractor tire. Yep, your right...it was their penetration test. Here'e how it works. From the rim down it is over 24" deep, filled with water to the rim. They back up the didtace they want to test..and let drive!! In their mind, if a bullet with through both sidewalls and over 24" of water...it was a killer! Don't knock it till you try your super-duper pooper-scopper load on that. Now I knew why Little hank wanted me to bring both my SBH and 686. They had already tried their favorite 180 Rem .357 Mag loads. That load would go through the first sidewall and flatten out.The hole would seal back up and no real amount of water come out. Well. now it was my turn! I backed up about 20 yards and let drive with the 44! The 250 gr LFN GC went right through, with wadcutter holes on both sides! They liked that! Then came the .357 Mag. It was loaded with Beartooth 185 gr FNGC's on top of 16 grs of WW296. I was a little worried about this one. No sweat! Two wadcutter holes and water running out! Out came the Red Man and Kodiak. They rolled the tire enough to pass the holes I put in it and filled it with water again. All I can tell you is this..If those loads will cut through the heavy sidewalls of a tractor tire and through about 2 feet of water...there's not a big hog alive that will stay that way, shield and all. if either load connects....period, end of report!
Best Regards from the Hammock.....James

(Edited by James Gates at 10:30 am on Feb. 19, 2001)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to say....The .44 Mag loads were: 250 gr BTB LFN GC on top of 14 grs AA5 @ 1200'/" out of 7.5" SBH, not top of the line! I think the ghost of Elmer was happy! I'm more convinced than ever, that if you run "that" bullet up to 1400'/" it is the most balanced load of velocity Vs penetration and weight of gun, in the .44 Mag. Not to be an a** but has anyone "not" killed a griz, moose, or elk with this combo? How do you really know you need more? Oh, I know the saying, "Better to have too much gun, than not enough!" But what is enough?
Best Regards from the Hammock....James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts