Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About ten years ago I belonged to a gun club that had a steel plate to shoot at on the 100 yard range. It was 10" in diameter and 1/2" thick. It was welded to a collar that swung on a horizontal pipe. Many of the people who belonged to the club would save the last 3 or 4 rounds for the plate, shooting off-hand. It was amazing how that heavy piece of steel would swing when hit with a .375 H&H or heavier.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
i thought you was talking sledge hammer when i first saw you post..
swung a many o 8 lb sledge at the steel mill when i was young.. but back to your subject .. sorry slim:)

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Many is the time an empty Coke can, with a string tied to the tab, was used as a fun .22 target, but your mention of a steel target has got me thinkin'. I have a 100 yard range behind the house, with big hills right after the target. I could probably hang an 8" square of steel I have, sitting in the garage, from a couple of tree branches and let my kids learn a little humility, shooting at it off-hand. :)

·
Banned
415 Posts
I've got three 8" x 1/2" steel targets in my backyard range, and they're all fun in their own way! One is as described, hanging off a horizontal pipe. One hangs off a vertical pipe, and sits on a collar shaped sort of like "~" (essentially like a self closing hinge), so that it always "returns to battery" on either the left or right side of the pipe. That ones makes for great fun to see if you can hit it before it locks back on at the other side...requires a fast trigger finger though! The third is a plate that sits on about a 16" long soft steel spring, which is fixed to a vertical pipe. When I hit that thing with the .270 WSM, it's nearly impossible to hit again for about 4 or 5 minutes afterward!

·
Banned
200 Posts
I belonged to the Texins Gun Club, in Allen TX.
(Was owned by Texas Instruments of Dallas)
We had several steel "pigs" etc that were used for sinhouette competition.
We had to place them at 200 yards, because most center fire rifles would punch holes right through them at 100 yards. I know because I saw it done with a 270!!
They were made of half inch steel too.
So, I guess I don't understand why your steel plates are not getting holes punched in them.
Bob Nisbet

·
Banned
199 Posts
Really, to shoot a centrefire with copper jacketed ammo on steel you need a bisalloy plate. Even then, very high velocity cartridges like the .204 and .22/250 will do some damage. Velocity is the key here - our metallic silhouettes are bisalloy and a .308 with 168gr match projectiles will just leave a splatter mark. .30/06 and even 9.3x74 all do likewise. But I shot one with my .204, and blew a hole about half an inch round halfway into the plate.

Our western action targets are usually mild steel and 1/4" or so thick, with cast bullits at lower velocities it isn't a problem. However, after a while they do start to "dish" towards the shooter. Especially with plumb centre shots like me out there nailing them in the guts every time - lol!

·
Banned
484 Posts
Here in 'da UP, eh, where men are men, women apparently are absent, the wolf, black bear and bull moose roam, the eagle soars in the crystal sky, and the wood ticks creep in your shorts from May through July, I built a shootin' range at my deer camp, with berms at 25,50,100,150,200,250,300 and 350 yards, and a little warm shack that lets me shoot year round:

And I got me some steel to shoot at 150 yards:

And there's a small steel target at 300 yards the same size as the vital area of a deer. If you can hit it, I will listen to your braggin' about long range huntin':

And there's a 15 yard pistol range:

And a steel falling plate rack for fast-n-fancy pistol shootin':

And a shotgun range, too:

All of the steel is AR500 armor steel, 1/4 inch thick for the handgun plate rack and 1/2 inch thick for rifles. The rifle targets have been hit hundreds of times with everything from .22's to a .340 Weatherby and a .458 Winchester. They are undamaged (except for paint). I do not shoot steel core bullets or AP at them.

If you're ever in 'da UP, eh, stop over and ring my gongs!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have several sets of plates. I work for a forklift company, have twoo pieces of old forks(1.75" thick x 5" wide) hanging at 125 yards, one at 200 yards, a 1 1/2" thick mild steel plate at 300 yards.

FMJ does dimple the mild steel heavily, but replacements are virtually free so it doesn't matter. Basically I borrow them from the recycle bin and return them when they are shot up.

The 375 H&H does make some noise even at the 300 yard target.

Don

·
Banned
199 Posts
Hey Bobby that range of yours is awesome. If I ever get over the other side of the Atlantic, I'll be sure to drop by and put a few rounds on steel!

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
WildHobbyBobby, that is a very cool shooting range! I have a cousin up der in da UP so if I ever get up dat way I'll come shootin' and ring da gong...yaa, sure ya betchya.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I shoot at 1/2" steel sometimes too. But I put two plates together, and poke perfectly round holes through both of them. :D AP bullets are a hoot.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I made a gong about a year ago out of some scrap steel. I got the plate from a steel supplier. It is 10"X1" thick. I use this mainly for long range practice. It comes apart and folds up nicely.

Attachments

·
Banned
415 Posts
I belonged to the Texins Gun Club, in Allen TX.
(Was owned by Texas Instruments of Dallas)
We had several steel "pigs" etc that were used for sinhouette competition.
We had to place them at 200 yards, because most center fire rifles would punch holes right through them at 100 yards. I know because I saw it done with a 270!!
They were made of half inch steel too.
So, I guess I don't understand why your steel plates are not getting holes punched in them.
Bob Nisbet
The target I've got that swings horizontally sits at 250 yards, and the one with the spring sits at 200. The one that swings vertically is at 100 yards, and I've replaced it twice when I decided to take bigger guns after it. Mostly though I use that one for the little guys (under .243).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts