Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made a great trade and ended up with a Delta Elite in 10mm, stainless. The gun has only three mods to it, a S&A Beavertail, lighter hollowed out hammer and a FLGR. It shoots and functions very well, and is pretty accurate to boot. Total rounds thru the gun are less than 100.
Being the cost and the Availability of 10mm ammo is crazy, I thought it would be a half way crazy idea to have a barrel fitted to the D/E in .40S&W. My thought is that it is cheaper to go to the range with 40's, than 10mm.
Short of contacting Colt themselves, does anyone know of a place or G'smith who can supply and fit a .40 barrel in my Delta?
Thank you in advance,
chris~

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Not only will you need a new barrel fitted, but you will also need some modified magazines suitable for the shorter cartridge. I have never out-sourced my 1911 work, as I have always had the facilities to do my own work, but I would probably contact Clark, or Wilson if I needed to have someone else do the work.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!!!

I was thinking about the mags, and remembered that Springfield offered a single stack .40 a short time back. figgered I could call springfield for the mags.

Even have thought of fitting this barrel myself, but have to do alot of research and studying before I try it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=18969/sku/5__Barrel___40_S_W_fits_C_P#

There is a gent over on Glock Talk who had his Smith fit a barrel to his Delta, and states that for target use, the 10mm mags work well.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Isn't this kinda defeating the purpose of having the Delta in the first place? After all, it's about the only production 10mm that has had no problems arising due to the high pressures and velocity. Besides, what are you to do about the double recoil springs? I suppose you can use a standard 1911 spring. Sorry, but it just seems a waste to alter a fine piece when you should already have a 45ACP 1911 or 2 laying around to alter.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't this kinda defeating the purpose of having the Delta in the first place? After all, it's about the only production 10mm that has had no problems arising due to the high pressures and velocity. Besides, what are you to do about the double recoil springs? I suppose you can use a standard 1911 spring. Sorry, but it just seems a waste to alter a fine piece when you should already have a 45ACP 1911 or 2 laying around to alter.

How is it altering when I would be fitting a barrel to a gun, not the opposite? How is it altering when I'd be using a seperate unaltered mag?
The purest reason to add the switch barrel would be the ability to shoot .40 cal ammo, at a cost savings, as I explained in the OP.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
The biggest job, is matching the feed ramp of the barrel to the frame. Make sure that the barrel is matched to the frame, and not the other way around, that way you can fire both calibers without one of them hanging up during chambering. I have three guns with various barrels matched for other calibers. one is a F.I.E. TZ 75 series 88 that will fire 9mm, .41 AE, 40 S&W.and .357 Sig The .40 and the Sig required a extra slide to be fitted as well as a barrel. My AMT Back up fires .40 S&W, .357 Sig, and .45 ACP, again two slides, plus Mags for the .45. One 1911 frame handles .45 ACP, and a wildcat built from .41 Mag brass with a .45 ACP rim dia. One slide The .41 is basicly a Semi Rimmed .41 AE, that I built back in 1967. I am also planning to install a .357 Sig barrel on my CZ RAMI. So as you can see your idea is quite sound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
KKM precision

KKM precision makes barrels for various handguns. I have a KKM 40 S/W barrel for my Glock 29 10mm and it works great. Use the Glock 10mm mag.s with no problems. My barrel was "drop-in" so no fitting was needed.
They make 1911 barrels but I do not know if they make the 40/10mm...they are on the web...they also give L.E./ Military pricing. Great people to deal with! :)

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
thanks for the info Lee.

There really in NO NEED to make this a switch gun, as I do own a Glock 23 in .40, and Mattsbox's Para Ordnance P16-40 [:eek:which I completely fogot that I owned:eek:]...i was just kickin' the tires to investigate the feasability.

They say the mind is the first thing to go....:eek:

Being I remembered I own the Para in .40 :eek:, a double stack 1911, if I do decide to add a barrel to the Delta, I may go with a 400cor-bon, or other 'exotic' such as .41 ackley....or perhaps something else?

The Para is as accurate as any 1911 that's been worked, and fills the niche of a .40 full-size.

·
Registered
513 Posts
a drop in barrel will be the easiest route to get a 40. the recoil spring may need to be changed once you get it up and running. i know several people who did exact conversion you want to do and retained the use of the 10mm mags as the length is all that changes. i also met one shooter who just long loaded his 40's( increased overall length)if your barrel will take it.if you are going to reload though the conversion is needless for any reason other than the brass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.