Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been a gun cleaning nutcase since my dad showed me how to clean my first .22 rifle (I can still smell the Hoppe's). I have used many oils like 3-in-One, Hoppe's Elite, Rem oil, and several others. All have done the same thing over a very short period of time: dissipate, draw itself into one part of the gun leaving parts available to rust, turn to gunk, or (in WD-40's case) turn into cement when mixed with burnt gun powder. It gets down right depressing to clean and lube a rifle and comeback less than a month later to zero oil and oxidation starting to form :mad:.

So with all of that said, I've started using Birchwood & Casey Synthetic gun oil and that stuff is slick. There is no friction at all with any gun its used on. My Guide Gun in stainless always had a "clunky" action until I applied this oil to it. Even after a month in storage the oil is still lightly present where I put it. Light, but still there.

The question I'm going to ask will open a large can of worms. This oil is $6.75 at amazon.com for a 4 OZ can when a whole quart of fully synthetic motor oil is about the same price. I've used the search function and found very little from people who use synthetic motor oil on their guns. So, for those of you that do use it, what do you think?

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
There have been others that post to this site that mention synthetic motor oil, Can recall Mobil1 in particular being used. Guess I'm still in the oil dark ages so to speak.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Reactions: CharlieMathis1

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 Syntethic ATF (automatic transmission fluid) with good results. I think it has better anti-corrosive properties than the motor oil. I use other stuff also, but this is what I coat my bores with after cleaning, before they go into the safe.
Luisyamaha

·
Registered
927 Posts
A lot of firearms Cleaners, Lubricants and Protectants have their origins in the automotive field. If a bullet had a connecting rod on it's nose, it would be a piston. Butch's Bore Shine, for example, has the exact same ingredients as GM's Top Engine Cleaner, plus some ammonium salts added. If the auto CLP's work on an engine, which produces high friction, heat and carbon, why not on a firearm?

Allen

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Walt,

I clean my vault guns and then coat the bore with Rust Inhibiting Grease (RIG) or Mil Spec Rifle grease. I have had guns sit in the vault for a decade and the grease has yet to let me down. No rust, bright bores and an increasing value in my iron.

Webley

·
Registered
190 Posts
The only lubricant I use is Mobil One Synthetic 5W-30. I also know of at least one gunsmith who builds race guns for 3 gun competition who uses nothing but Mobil One Synthetic on every weapon he builds.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did a lot of research before switching to Mil-Comm synthetics. While I like the convenience of the small bottles, and the synthetic oil is amazing, word is that most of these new gun lubes are nothing more than Mobile One in a small bottle. I've read that many people who already use Mobile One in their cars save a little bit to use on their guns. I wish someone would analyze synthetic gun oil vs Mobile One.

·
Registered
2 Posts
try this one

I have been using Lube One from Slick 50 on my semi-auto guns for years. It is the best thing on the pistol and it stays in there and works well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ProLong

I like using ProLong. This stuff is unbelievable and I use it in all my vehicles too. It's in my tranny, motor and differential. I had a Ford Ranger with 487,000+ miles on it and they said I had one cylinder that was different than the rest at 1%. I have also heard of people using it and getting the engine hot and the engine was fine.
I thought...well, if it works that good, how about my Muzzle Loader? It penetrates the steel, makes it slicker than snot and no corrosion at all...Hmmmm. good stuff!!!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have been using old red transmission fluied for years, its cheap, seems to last a long time and slicks up everything. Whites lab did a test for the NRA some years ago and the Transmission won the slick'um test hands down, that is when I started using it...

I live in a high dry climate, however we have some pretty severe winters with lots of snow, but no humidity..

Does it works for me, better than gun oil?? I wouldn't swear to it and I may not be as particular on the subject as you and others, but, being in the hunting business, I probably don't leave my guns unatended as much as most folks as I'm in the field more than most.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mobil 1 used on guns

Most mobil 1 oil is not synthetic ? They get away with calling it synthetic by breaking dead dinasor remains down to it's monicular structure and filtering it so that the base stock is put togather with molicues of ruffley the same size. By doing this they get less shearing of the oil molicules, thus the oil last longer than straight dino juice in the crank case. True synthetic oil has a synthetic base stock, these are your premium oil's that cost more. Usually more than $10.00 a quart. Base stock is usually around 85% of your oil and an additive packige of around 15%. Mobil 1 does make a true synthetic oil though, and they charge for it (like 5W-50 at $15.00 a quart). I've heard that their 0W-40 europien formula is a true synthetic, it can be found for around $9.00 a quart. I would venture to say that, that Wal-Mart brand of synthetic oil would surve your purpose for 1/2 the money.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Found some Peak synthetic grease at Pep Boys for under $7.00 for a lifetime supply in a can. Works good for grease applications in guns (i.e. Garand), and for case sizing and reforming.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Webley” I clean my vault guns and then coat the bore with Rust Inhibiting Grease (RIG) or Mil Spec Rifle grease. I have had guns sit in the vault for a decade and the grease has yet to let me down. No rust, bright bores and an increasing value in my iron.”

Big 5” I have been using old red transmission fluied for years, its cheap, seems to last a long time and slicks up everything. Whites lab did a test for the NRA some years ago and the Transmission won the slick'um test hands down, that is when I started using it...”

Like Webley, I have used RIG for years and it never fails!! :) Never any rust or oxidation, and a little goes a long way! All you need is to apply a film.

Big5 is right in that Plain every day ATF is a GREAT rust inhibitor. I had never thought about it for guns, but use it all the time for engine parts that will sit. Here we deal with high humidity and large temperature swings causing condensation, and with an ATF coating parts do not rust!!:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you want a light coat of oil, use any light oil. But if you don't want rust, use grease. Rig is fine as is axle grease.

Messy to deal with until you learn how but man, does it stay where it's put and stop the rust!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Interesting info, farmhand2710. I see this is your first post - welcome to the forum! Keep the good info comming!

·
Registered
8 Posts
synthetic oils

There was a very famous model motor man that swore by Rislone a supplement oil. It was supposed to not dry out nor run off. Best thing is that a quart is about $5. I have used it on a number of model motors that have sat around for years and the motor remains free and rust free. The piston and liner are made from cast iron and steel with tolerances of less than .0001 inch and you can put a prop on one 7 years (oldest I have) and it turns over just fine. It appears to be about 30 weight oil in thickness.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mobil 1 was developed by Shell Research in Pittsburgh and the rights sold to Mobil oil. It is a low-molecular weight, long chain, poly alpha-olifin.
Another product that seems to have promise is Motorkote, made in Gahanna, Ohio. The properties seem to enhance base oil properties.
Lubrizol manufacturers the additive package for most of the major oil products.
As added protection, I clean my guns every 6 months, whether used or not.

·
Registered
156 Posts
synthetic oils

You tightwads need to quit trying to save a buck or two when it comes to your beloved firearms !! Use TETRA OIL and forget about it ! There are other "polymeric based oils" out there now that I know nothing about but I sure as heck know about TETRA, been using it for nearly 20 years now and would not be without it -

·
Registered
14 Posts
A well known Harley mechanic from Toronto once a did motorcycle oil evaluation of a bunch of the leading brands and he recommended Mobil 1 synthetic for all Harleys. He ran a bunch of tests over a year long evaluation and got the formulas for every oil tested. He has built choppers and racing bikes and has torn down a lot of motors and rebuilt him. He said Mobil 1 users had cleaner pistons, cases and transmissions than the rest of the pack. So to me using this oil on a firearm seems to be a good idea. The cleaning properties and durability of Mobil 1 right now is second to none. (No I don't work for Mobil)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts