Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen a synthetic stock on a Win/ Browning model 71? I just bought one in 450 Alaskan and am anxious to get it in the field for my spring Brown Bear season. The wood is too nice though and I know I won't be too happy with the inevitable swelling and finish spiderwebbing. Any input would be great.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
my gosh ..here im a believer in synthetic stocks.. but on a lever gun..umm..mabe the idea would grow on me ,,if i had one..
but i don t think i will.
now function an dependability are in the end all i really care about..
so have at it, brother ..if it works for you ..let know..slim:)

·
Registered
583 Posts
there are some gunsmiths that specialize in custom lever guns and some of them offer synthetic stocks. I've seen some guide guns converted to a slick take down rifle that fits in a claronet case. I've never seen one for sale except on a custom gun.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If you are talking about "plastic" stocks, try Bobs Gun Parts....for high quality fiberglass, Kevlar/Graphite, etc, try MPI............I have MPI Kevlar/Graphite on my 444. They require bedding and finishing, but, they are very strong and top of the line.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
too bad our time zones are so scattered. I'd like to be able to post and get replies more often than once a day..... the price I pay for living in paradise. (if only my wife thought so)
Anyway,here in Alaska, there is Wild West Guns in Anchorage. They do a great job on the Marlin 1895. the takeapart they do is called their Copilot model and is a thing of beauty. And it shows in the price tag!
I'll check out Bob's gun parts..As for MPI, i called hem already. They have a stock that sounds like it may work but would have to be modified. It's a composite layup job that costs $319 usd. The mod from them is an additional 400. does 719 bucks sound high to anyone else?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
laminate stocks for the browning 71 would be fine too. The extra weight might even be welcome considering some of the loads I'll be using.

I'm going to start a new thread for my next question which will be this. Has anyone put their scope base on the bolt of a model 71/ 86?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try extremerifleworks.com The owner told me he could make a synthetic stock for just about anything. I specifically asked about a Browning model 71. He quoted me somewhere around $700. Also Turnbull Restorations makes a mount for Burris Firefly for 86's & 71's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts