Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
In over 50 years of hunting, I've never had a wood stock warp. I think that problem is overrated, not that it doesn't happen.
There is just something about a wood stock that I like better than synthetic, and they are a lot better looking in my opinion.

·
Banned
604 Posts
I'm an old guy ... REAL RIFLES WEAR WOOD.

·
Banned
674 Posts
I'm an old guy to but I hunt and shoot year round in all kinds of weather so my wood stock stays in the box and 3 of my rifles wear black plastic. For show the wood goes back on but dragging out to the range or through the woods in snow, rain, and hot humid days I'll grit my teeth and shoot plastic.

Depends on where you live and how much time in the elements you spend. A week in the rain in Washington will do you bad as will a couple of weeks in the hot sun of the Arizona or New Mexico desert.

Unless your gun is only out when you shoot and you only shoot in shirtsleeve weather it won't be a problem. Depends on which kind of shooter you are squirrelsniper.

·
Banned
296 Posts
I prefer the looks of wood over synthetic but like the ruggedness of the synthetic better. Either way, the browning's barrel will be free floated so accuracy will be the same.

·
Banned
107 Posts
My rifles all sport walnut stocks. Some are pretty beat up, but I bought them to get used, so I don't mind a bit. Those Browning are nice. Have fun making your selection.:)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can appreciate the merits of both. The custom rifle I am in the midst of getting built had some serious consideration behind it concerning what type of stock to put on it. I wanted an all weather gun that I would really enjoy shooting and have no worries on trips to others states for hunts.

I "compromised" and opted for a laminate stock from Shehane stocks. With an oil finish, these are some of the prettiest stocks I've seen.

Not sure if this is an option on your Browing or if you have any motivation to switch out stocks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have both, but the majority wear synthetic stocks. I have found that I prefer the synthetic, as I hunt in a climbing tree stand, and in ladder stands, and dragging them up the tree can be pretty hard on a nicely finished wood stock.

I think blued steel and walnut are a good combo

Stainless and walnut is also good, but stainless and synthetic is good.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I won't own a gun made by the japs.

Look for a gun made in the USA.

As for walnut vrs syn stocks I started when all we had was wood and made do. I refinished a couple of stocks over the years.

It rained all day on opening day last fall. I carried a Kimber Montana 308 all day. I had the old M99F in the vehicle.

Here is a Ruger 77. Shop around and get to know whats out there.

·
Registered
585 Posts
^ Great advice. Why buy a "jap" gun for about the same price (give or take) when you could get an American made gun of lesser quality. Brilliant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts