Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Action: Siamese Mauser, reshaped, trued, lapped, bolt face enlarged, extractor reshaped and bolt handle bent. Combination of work by Sprinter Arms and Ken Davis.

Barrel, chambering and blueing: 24" No.5 by Sprinter Arms

Stock: Elk Ridge Sportster extra fancy walnut blank with ebony tip and cap. Inletted, checkered and finished by Ken Davis.

Trigger: Timney

Reamer: Custom by Dave Manson of Manson Reamers
Manson Reamers

F/L size die: RCBS Custom
Seater die: Forster custom Ultra Micrometer
crimp die: Lee custom Facory crimp

Range report to follow.

Regards

Snow.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Now that is a nice project for a Siamese Mauser. That one made up real nice, kinda giving me an idea for one of my Siamese actions.

Reactions: jimboro

·
Banned
301 Posts
Maroontoad

Thats a Very nice looking rifle. Can you shed some light on what Vel. you hope to get out it and with what bullet and powder combination. I really love the 35 CAL. stuff, There great power houses and so over looked by so many. I shoot 4 different 35 Cals. right now and I'm looking to add some more to the collection. I shoot the 350 Rem. Mag, 358 Norma Mag, 358 STA, and 2 358/300 Ack Imp.. Look foreward to seeing the results of your work.

Hoeram :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Maroontoad

Thats a Very nice looking rifle. Can you shed some light on what Vel. you hope to get out it and with what bullet and powder combination. I really love the 35 CAL. stuff, There great power houses and so over looked by so many. I shoot 4 different 35 Cals. right now and I'm looking to add some more to the collection. I shoot the 350 Rem. Mag, 358 Norma Mag, 358 STA, and 2 358/300 Ack Imp.. Look foreward to seeing the results of your work.

Hoeram :D
Hi Hoeram,

I took the rifle to the range today and did a quick test of some loads A single chronographed bullet acheived 2765 fps with a 200 gr Remington core-Lokt round nose. The primer was still pretty round, so it could possibly make 2800 fps. This puts it firmly in the .35 Whelen class. This was an accurate load, consisting of 56.0 gr of Benchmark and a OAL of 2.75". Three round groups averaged .82", with the best being exactly .7" @ 100m (110 yds). That would be around minute of angle for a five round group.

Hopefully, I can get some time on my own at the range next weekend to do some more formal testing with a micrometer.

Cheers

·
Registered
191 Posts
maroontoad,
Awesome looking rifle ... who was the 'smith?? I've been wondering how your project was going being another 35cal 'loonie'. I've just had Manson do a reamer drawing of a 358CRG which should get about the same speeds (maybe a little more) but from a short action, plus I'm about to start building (finally!!) my long awaited 303/35.

Tell me ... does the Sprinter barrel have concave lands?? His bores can be rough, but **** they can shoot! Did you go a 1:16" or 1:14" barrel?
Cheers...
Con

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G'day Con,

The Smith's were Keith Bridgeman and Ken Davis. I first built this project on a Marlin XLR also by Keith Bridgeman and that shot better than the parent .45-70. I haven't had a problem with fouling or leading from either, so I'm a fan. The Twist is 1 in 13, which is his fastest.

Mate I'm still very keen on your 303/35 project. I know how long these things take, please keep me informed:D

Regards

Snow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Snow,
Your not wrong on the Sprinter barrels ... I know of a few now that despite looking rough internally are just fantastic for accuracy ... not match-grade but then they're not 'match-priced'.

I'll let you know once the 303/35 is up and running, just waiting on quotes from a local guy to assemble them. Barrels will be Sprinter, actions will be No4 Mk1s ... I might get two built if I can find another beat-up No4 action. Speaking with another member from the Australian Hunting forum on the weekend and he's keen to do the 303/35 on a Contender.
Cheers...
Con

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello T-66
I would like to know more about the 35 greevy, loading data and such. I have a marlin 338 mx that I want to convert to the 35 greevy. any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks
Scott

·
Banned
301 Posts
Maroontoad

That's a great looking rifle and the results look pretty good. Should be a great game getter. Keep me posted on further testing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hello T-66
I would like to know more about the 35 greevy, loading data and such. I have a marlin 338 mx that I want to convert to the 35 greevy. any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks
Scott
G'day Scott,

The express component of the cartridge refers to the fact that you can only shoot short and therefore light bullets from this case in a Marlin action. This is because of the case length and the OAL restriction imposed by the action. That is why I moved the project to a Siamese Mauser.

Since you will need a custom reamer and custom dies for any project, may I suggest simply necking up the .338 Marlin case to .35 cal. I have modelled the case and can see real advantages in regard to bullet weight over the .35 Greevy Express. It should comfortably feed bullets up to 250 grains where the Marlin based Greevy is restricted to 200's.

My reamer was made by Dave at Manson Precision Reamers and my dies by RCBS custom. I have since made a .375 Wildcat on the .45-70 case and Dave at CH4D did a great job on those dies straight from Dave Manson's reamer drawing.

Good luck, regards

Snow.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Snow,
I looked at the .35 caliber 338 Marlin when we discussed it. I brought the neck diameter out to .3880”. I also brought the shoulder forward to 1.4794” to bring the shoulder back to 25 degrees.
This gave me an estimated total water capacity of 63.4 grains.
If we seat a cast bullet .360” we have the base of the bullet below the neck but I believe the mouth of the gas check is still in the neck.
This leaves us with enough room for 46.4 grains of IMR 4064, 38.0 grains of Hodgdon 4895, or 47.0 grains of Alliant Reloder 10X.
The only thing to consider at this point is the pressure restrictions imposed by the Marlin 336 action.
I am not certain how these drawings will look when reduced for posting but here is a try at it. I keep telling myself I font need a 338 ME, I don’t need a 338 ME….

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice Slim,

I rate the Marlin with that case head size and subsequent bolt thrust to the same as a .444 in a square threaded receiver. Where as the .45-70 case reduces to about 40,000 CUP. (My opinions only) The Vee thread of the .338 Marlins will offer a bit more strength but I personally would keep that up my sleeve and treat it as a .444.

Using a simple necked up .338ME, we have .720" of bullet room available outside the case against .435" available for the Greevy. That is substantial. For a gas checked bullet with the check seated to the base of the neck, the Greevy will feed a bullet to .705" long (around 165 grains), where the .35-338ME will feed a bullet to 1.008" long (around 250 grains). The Greevy is safe to 40,000 and the .35-338 safe to 44,000 (again my opinion only). However, the Greevy has a water capacity after bullet seating of 65.04 where the .35-338 only 53.7. This makes them hard to compare with lead.

Chronographed testing of jacketed 250 grain Hawk bullets loaded deep and single loaded in my original Marlin based Greevy produced a measly 2108 fps from a 24" barrel. My modelling suggests that the .35-338 could safely achieve an extra 50 fps with the same bullet and use 5 grains less of powder. A much more flexible wildcat for that platform.

For a comparison, my .356 also gets 2160fps with the 250 @ 2 grains less the modelled cartridge. Where with the .358 BLR custom gains another 100fps because there is less restriction on length, although it uses another 5 grains of powder to get it.

My conclusion: The .356 Winchester is the most efficient of these .35 calibres. For the Marlin action, unless you can find a 336ER, the .35-338ME is the next best choice and the .35 Greevy is too hard to work with.

Anybody's question may be, is it worth the time, effort and expense to change a perfectly adequate .338 Marlin into anything else.

Regards

Snow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Snow
Thanks for your reply. I desided to go with the 348 DC on a 1895 marlin. I like my leverguns, how well does your greevy work on the buffs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello Snow
Thanks for your reply. I desided to go with the 348 DC on a 1895 marlin. I like my leverguns, how well does your greevy work on the buffs.
Scott,

I'll be extremely interested to hear how you go with your project. It would be great if you start a thread with your progress.

The Greevy from the Siamese Mauser kills as well as a stout load from a .35 Whelen. If you pick your shot, it's all over.

Regards
Snow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
.35 Greevy express dies

I am trying to find .35 Greevy Express dies.
I lost mine in a flood a few years ago.
I sent my dimensions to RCBS to see if they had dies and they said their dimensions were a little different from mine so would not make dies.
Would you be kind enough to send your dimensions or help me find dies.
I developed the .35 GE back in the '70's and still have my gun. Now at 70 years old I would like to shoot it again.
Les Greevy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts