Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a 14'' 45/70 barrel for my t/c contender and wondering what loads to use that would be easy on the hands, but not to wimpy. thinking of starting out with 300 gr. hard cast using unique, 2400 or 4227 power.any info would be helpful

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
.45-70

Try eleven to 14 grains of Unique. makes a nice plinker load with a 300 grain cast bullet.
Try 28 grains of IMR 4198 for another; the bullet has about thevelocity of a .22LR but weighs al lot more.
Pete

·
Banned
502 Posts
With the IMR 4198, I would start just about 26 grains. That will put you at about 1,200 fps. Does your barrel have the compensator?

For 2400 powder, start at 24 grains, with IMR 4227 start at 27.5 grains. If you have not fired one of these really big thunder boomers, you will be really surprised.

Jerry

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
To quote my T/C load book's comment on the 45/70..."At no place within the data section is recoil not objectionable."

Sounds like fun, to me! :D

I remember the first time I touched off a 44Mag round out of the 14" Super barrel I got in about 1989. I had fired a fair amount of 45ACP and 357Mag so I was familiar with how to hold a pistol. I guess I was expecting a lot "more" out of the 44, so I had a death grip on it. The muzzle jump was harder to control than other guns I had fired, but the actual recoil was quite a bit less than I expected. Still, I liked it! I have found, as I added other powerful handgun barrels to the lineup, that I truly ENJOY touching off rounds that let you know you've fired a gun! When my friends talk about shooting their "9's" or even shooting my favorite defensive round, the 40S&W, I just can't get all that excited about it because they can't compare with the power and effectiveness of the Contender barrels I like so much.

With all that being said, the idea of shooting a 45/70 out of a 12" barrel is something I would do with no small amount of trepidation. :)

Please let us know how it kicks, ok?

·
Banned
763 Posts
20 grains of 2400 + .5 grain of poly fill is a great short range load. You pick your favorite lead bullet.

This powder and 425 grain RD bullets runs around 1250fps out of my 18.5" rifle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts