Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just picked up a powder measure not quite sure how this works cause I am fairly new to this stuff,anyone used this one before.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is there anybody that can help me with this it would be appreciated not sure how to measure

·
Registered
253 Posts
Got a picture of that measure? Not familiar with the TC number. Is it adjustable?

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Adjust the polymer sleeve to the grain loading your using. In the fully closed position it starts at 20 grains and opens in 10 grain increments too 120 grains. Use the brass screw too lock in position. You can also use the brass screw to lock in an intermediate position between two graduations.

Pour your powder from the flask into this measure then dump the measured powder into the muzzleloader barrel. Never pour directly from the flask into the barrel. Hot ember could ignite and you have a bomb in your hand.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like what the instructions say.On the back it of the box it has an example.when you want to fill your muzzleloader with 100 gr, slide the sleeve until it says 50because the cup itself holds 50, what to believe i am not sure.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
That's what T/C's catalogue description says basically. I found it a little odd that the lower closed setting is 20 grains. Believe that too be a misprint and would suspect what your saying 50 grains closed is more like a starting point. I have several powder measures but there three hundred miles away and were made by various manufacturers including T/C. Additionally there all brass not brass and plastic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I called the company and they said the directions are right,I found that hard to believe so I did some weight measurements.100 gr volume of 2fg 777 is 80 on my vol measure.100 grains is said to weigh 73.3 but my scale came out to about 62.5 .i was looking at the conversion chart above in this thread and what is with the 777adjusted.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,720 Posts
Well it depends on what the measure was calibrated with. Black powder is not all the same density, so 100gr. of one company product does not necessarily have the same volume of 100gr. of another product. The measures really ought to be calibrated by volume but that seems unlikely to happen.

The black powder substitutes (Pyrodex, 777, et al) all have their own densities. So it would probably be surprising if you got any sort of consistency at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts