Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Advice, please:

I'm thinking of getting a T/C carbine in 44 mag.

Right now I am shooting 265 BTB-WFNGC sized .431 (at that diameter the 700 bullets I bought average 269 grains +/- one grain) with 22 grain H4227 in Starline brass and WLP primers and getting 1170 fps with good accuracy and only about 12 fps extreme spread out of my 4-5/8" SBH. I want to continue using that bullet and load in a light rifle for times when I need to reach a little farther with good accuracy. By the way, that 22 of H4227 is very clean burning and completely fills that case under that bullet when seated to 1.60 COL. That is one of Hodgdon's so-called Extreme powders. I shot that same load through my friend's new 7-1/2" Ruger SBH hunter and it only increased to about 1240 fps.

Other: I tried chambering that in an older Rossi lever carbine - one without the puma roll marking on the receiver - and the cartridge jammed when feeding. It tried it in a new Winchester 94 levergun and it fed slick as anything. I ran 6 of them through working the lever fast and 6 moving the lever slowly and they fed fine and missed my head by a nice margin when ejected.

THE QUESTIONS: Any recommendations about the T/C carbine in 44 mag? I know the newer barrels are button rifled only about 2 thousands and about pre-1988 are cut rifled about 6 thousands. All of them are 20 to 1 rate of twist just like Ruger. I called Fox Ridge and they didn't think any lead bullet would work very well with the button rifled barrels.

Fox Ridge offers the 44 mag in bull barrel only, and cut to lengths up to 24 inches. Any recommendations on the best barrel length? I know Ruger uses a barrel length of about 18" for 44 rifles, but in the T/C that would look like a sawed off shotgun.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Dave,
I have had a 21" tapered TC barrel in .44 Mag for about fifteen years.
Equipped with a Williams Guide sight it weighs much less than six pounds. This is the hardest kicking outfit I have ever shot! I am not timid about recoil but take my word for it, from the bench you really need a shooting coat or Past pad.

The barrel shoots everything well. What works in a handgun works in the carbine. I like IMR 4227.

While shooting from the bench I grasp the forend tighly and bed my hand into the sandbag. Twice now the rifle has kicked the foren tenion right out of the dovetail in the barrel. This left me holding the forend in my hand and once, when the rifle was wearing a scope I recieved an ugly surprise in my left eyebrow (left handed).

I suggest the Fox Ridge barrel as they have two tenions and screws to hold the forend on. I would get a bull barrel for the added weight out front.

I like this set up. It is light and easy to carry. You do not notice recoil when hunting. From the bench take every precaution....

The Winchesters feed very well because they control the case rim. The .357 Trapper will feed ANY bullet you can seat in the case. It will do it upside down or side ways. Many people do not like the Win M-94 action but I do.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,234 Posts
If you don't hear from Contender on this topic in a day or so, send him a PM. He has some experience with the .44 in a T/C, and I know he does shoot several different cast bullets in his.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Hello all,

I concur with a the advice of getting a bull barrel for the added weight. I would also advise you to look into a custom barrel from the standpoint of being able to have input on the throat dimensions matched to the type of cast pills you will be throwing.

The factory throats are horrid, amounting to a glorified funnel with very little leade. Exact replica of a revolver throat.

Mike Siorios of OTT is running out barrels now at a reasonable price. He even offers a large diameter barrel profile that looks like a suppressor then it is scaled back to go into the Contender frame. He does excellent work. EDM's all chambers/throats. http://www.mbmco.net/home.htm

For what you would pay for a Fox Ridge barrel, a bit more would get you something custom to your specs for exactly what you want to shoot in it.

Simply see what blanks he has there or get a balnk from the vendor of your choice and send it to him for work.

Only reason I have suggested this route is that you are going Quasi-custom anyway.

Just my humble opinion for what it's worth.

Regards

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm. . .
Thanks for the input, guys. This internet can sure be a wonderful learning tool! Your statements considered, I think maybe I will take another look at the Winchester 94.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts