Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T/C Encore will not break open after the shot. Have to pull on the break open lever and pull trigger at the smae time to get the weapon to break! Any thoughts besides the calling T/C.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I don't own your rifle and have never shot it. So this is just a guess. Are you shooting Winchester W209 primers? They are the longest primer and maybe the expansion from the ignition is moving them back. A short primer like a Federal or CCI might solve the problem. Again, this is just a guess.

·
RIP Me. Gates
2,429 Posts
Well, you are not alone indeed! The problem is the firing pin not retracting! Everyone cleans the barrel of these inline 209 primer guns, but never sem to think about the residue blown back into, and through, the firing pin hole.
The best thing to do is soak the firing pin (in the frame) with a good solvent.
Do not try to force the gun open....it will either break or bend the firing pin......James

·
Registered
279 Posts
Everyone cleans the barrel of these inline 209 primer guns, but never sem to think about the residue blown back into, and through, the firing pin hole.
+1

I you fire your .50 Encore muzzleloader a lot you need to remove the breech face about once a year and clean everything up. The firing pin spring is small and not very strong: i've seen a couple of them that were badly rusted and had to be replaced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, you are not alone indeed! The problem is the firing pin not retracting! Everyone cleans the barrel of these inline 209 primer guns, but never sem to think about the residue blown back into, and through, the firing pin hole.
The best thing to do is soak the firing pin (in the frame) with a good solvent.
Do not try to force the gun open....it will either break or bend the firing pin......James
Good advise right there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts