Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gentleman,
I just signed up on this forum and looks to be alot of great information. I am new to pistol shooting,but have hunted with a long gun for many years. Am very anxious to purchase my first pistol. Im looking to purchase a G2 contenderW/12 inch barrel. Im leaning towards Bullberry to get both the frame and the barrel.I do not reload though I have a feeling that I will like to in the near future.As for the barrels to get I talked to Troy at bullberry and he mentioned for starting out and not being a current reloader that the 22 Hornet might be a good fit. I will be hunting small game like squirrel and rabbit, only head shots. The other 50% of the time will just be general target shooting. The other barrel I would like to try would be for deer hunting.Have not decided on this one yet.Would still like to target shoot also with this.Some reasonably priced cartridge out there? Also pretty sure there are no regulations on rifle cartridges in Wisc.Perhaps 30-30 Win or 375 Win?
Would there be any other things I need to know about the G2? I heard that the over size hinge pins should be used? Muzzle brake for the larger caliber?Thanks guys in advance for any info you could share with a newbie. Steve

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
The 22 Hornet in Contenders was one of the original chamberings when first offered for sale. They are a hoot to shoot but hang on too the wallet if you don't reload. Noticed most boxes of fifty are approaching $40. I use 44 Magnum on deer size game in addition to the 30 Herritt. Recently acquired a 7.62x39 pistol barrel which would be ballistically similar to the 30 Herritt.

My beliefs on the oversized hinge pins is there a waste of money. You keep paying for them with every new barrel bought needing modification. When you want to sell one modified who will buy it? The only one making out on this improvement is the individual doing the work for payment.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
GlassArtisan,

First and foremost, welcome to ShootersForum! Rules are simple, be nice and join in. :)

The Contender/G2/Encore line of frames, and the almost limitless number of barrels you can buy, or have made, has fascinated me for dang near 20 years. I've got 4 barrels for the original Contender that I enjoy shooting more than anything else in the safe. Like Hailstone said, the 44 Mag is good on deer, out to maybe 125 yards, and oddly enough, I also have a 30 Herrett barrel. I have never seen the need for the over-sized hinge pins, but there are plenty of 'smiths out there who will gladly take your money to rework the entire action and install them for you.

Not only are the Hornet shells expensive, but that's a nostalgic old cartridge that can be downright fussy about what it will shoot well, even if you hand load. For small game, I'd go with the 22LR, 22WMR, or 17HMR. All three offer inexpensive, readily available ammo and will surprise you with their accuracy and effectiveness at small-game yardages.

However, as you alluded to, these guns really do endear themselves to the person who loads his own cartridges! There are many interesting and powerful options to choose from that will shine for long-range deer hunting, on up to all but the biggest bears. Reloading is a fun, relaxing and highly rewarding hobby that I enjoy almost as much as shooting the rounds I load up. I'm giving you a fair warning, though...this is a bug you don't want to get bit by, unless you don't mind shelling out a little coin for new barrels/dies/brass, etc.!! :D

My two favorite barrels are the 6.5 JDJ (old 225 Winchester case, necked up to .264") and the 7-30 Waters. These both give ~250 yards of accuracy and energy for deer hunting, but the wildcat requires you to hand load and the Waters benefits tremendously from doing so. In factory offerings that you can buy off-the-shelf ammo for, I feel the 30/30 with a 14" barrel (brake optional) and Leverevolution bullets (for better long-range performance) would be a great combination. I think Hornady has expanded that line to include a 150gr bullet, which is what I would go with, but there is nothing wrong with the original 160 grain FTX, either.

Hope that helps out and we hear back from ya!

Jason

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have one of the older Contenders and a number of barrels for it. The oversized pin is unneeded.
My favorite barrel is the 10" 30-30. Handy. Very accurate and as powerful as the .44, which is my second favorite barrel.

Pete

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Respectfully Disagree

I respectfully disagree with the above in that the oversized hinge pin IS necessary. It will help with the accuracy of a Contender,G2,or Encore. Check out the Mike Bellm site and read thru ALL the aftermarket parts and his thoughts on the T/C products.

I consider him the "GURU" of T/C's single shots. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I respectfully disagree with the above in that the oversized hinge pin IS necessary. It will help with the accuracy of a Contender,G2,or Encore. Check out the Mike Bellm site and read thru ALL the aftermarket parts and his thoughts on the T/C products.

I consider him the "GURU" of T/C's single shots. -----pruhdlr
I will amend my statement to include: If you have any problems with accuracy from your T/C Contender/G2/Encore, an over-sized hinge pin may well solve it. Personally, I am very happy with the accuracy of the 4 barrels I have. The only one that ever gave me any trouble was the 30 Herrett and that was because I was not sizing the case correctly.

As Pruhdlr points out, Mike Bellm is an absolute authority on these guns and has solved many problems with them, including the installation of over-sized hinge pins. You can learn a lot about these guns just by reading some of the stuff on his site.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
the oversized hinge pin IS necessary.
With all due respect, and I mean that, to the fellows who posted about the value of the oversize pin. I've read their posts on many subjects and they know what they talk about. But...... Isn't some qualification necessary? An oversized pin will make the gun more accurate. Well....suppose the gun/barrel/ammo combo is already accurate? If the gun will shoot to - let's say MOA groups at what ever distance a person has use for - then I maintain the oversized pin is unneeded. I can see that if there is an inherent problem with accuracy an oversized pin could be a help but to say that one is necessary for every gun is an overstatement.
And it does alter the "saleability" of the altered gun as already noted in another post.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
That is the truth, Pete...which is why neither of my Contender frames have over-sized action pins. The 6.5JDJ barrel, in particular, is a true MOA performer so I'm certainly not going to mess with it. The 44Mag will shoot every round I care to shoot from it into a 2" group at 50 yards (the distance I plan for when hunting with it) so there again, no need to improve on what already works for me. However, if I did have a problem with accuracy with any of my barrels, I would not rule out the over-sized pins, as many have had good results with that solution.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to you all for the welcome, help and comments.Will be doing a little more research on barrel calibers and what to get. Steve

·
Registered
770 Posts
I got a G2 right after they came out. Obviously, there are scads of excellent deer cartridges available for this gun/system. However, by far I shoot my 22lr the most....cheap, accurate, small game getter out to 5oyrds. or so. The one thing I like most about my gun is that I have the same trigger pull, no matter what the caliber. Have fun...Terry

·
Banned
421 Posts
I have a G2 Contender I've had for some time. I recently sold a 357 barrel and a 7-30 Waters barrel due to lack of use. The 7-30 is a great deer caliber out to 200 yards with a scope.
I kept my 45/410, my super 14 22LR match barrel, and my super 14 17HM2 barrel. The 410 is great for grouse! Both the 22 and 17 shoot one hole at 50 yards if I do my part. Both are fun to shoot, and cheap to shoot. The 17 is flat out to 100 yards, where the 22 is flat to 50. IMO the 17HM2 is the best squirrel caliber you can buy. I use a red dot on both rimfire barrels with a variable dot that goes down to 1 moa for precision shooting at long ranges.
Whatever you buy for barrels you will have a lot of fun with the G2. For a deer caliber the 30-30 is hard to beat. Cheap to shoot, with ammo available anywhere. With the new leverevolution you should get out to 200 yards easily if you sight in and practice for it. To me, with the Pachmyer sling stud stocks and a sling, the G2 is one of my most fun squirrel shooters.
Good luck, and make sure to post pics of your new G2!

·
Registered
1 Posts
TC Contender Hinge Pin

I switched my 30-30 handgun to a 45-70 in my G2. Over time, there was a wobble between the barrel and the frame. Id been sent 3 different pins from TC before I ordered the midsized hinge pin from Bellm. This thing was the deal and tightened everything right up without modification. It went in pretty snug, but I guess that was the point. Accuracy was greatly improved and I'm much happier with the gun.

Suggestion to new buyers, an aftermarket recoil pad was a welcome replacement from the stock rubber one especially with the 45-70.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I started shooting and hunting with T/C Contender Handguns in 1982. In the years since I have used a lot of different cartridges in the Contender but one I neglected up until about 12 years ago. That cartridge was the .22 LR. Now I am not sure I would be happy without a .22 LR Match Barrel for my Contender. Depending on the distances you plan on shooting Rabbits or Squirrels I can not think of a better cartridge than the .22 LR, and if you needed a bit more range I'd probably opt for the .22 WMR or .17 HMR.

Another cartridge for the Contender I would not want to be without is the .223 Remington. I have taken lots of varmints with the .223 Contender Handguns out to 300 yards and beyond.

As for a Cartridge for Whitetail Deer the .30-30 is never a bad choice and has been stated with pointed bullets like the new Hornady Leverevolution or Handloads with Spitzer Bullets the range can be increased compared to flat nose bullets. My personal choice is for the 7-30 Waters for Whitetail Deer.

All of my current barrels are 14". I have never had any of the 12" barrels but have had a few 10"er's over the years. I much prefer the 14" barrels myself.

As per the Oversized Hinge Pin, I have only had one experience with one. Not on a Contender but rather for an Encore Rifle that had a really loose fit. Yes the Oversized Hinge Pin tighted things up but I did not notice any significant improvement in accuracy.

Larry

·
Registered
5 Posts
try .223

Howdy, I'm new to the forum too. I've got 2 pre-G2 Contenders, so my recommendation would be get a.223 barrel and the chamber adapters in 22 LR and 22 Mag.
The .223 ammo is cheap and you can get ammo that is intended for Deer-sized game (in a pinch) and the steel ammo would work well. Being a single-shot, I've found that the 22LR & 22 Mag (WMRF) are not that much of a hassle. This combo gives you great versatility : woodchuck, rabbit, and up. I use the adapters and they are accurate.
Hope this helps.
JDalton

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Welcome JDalton,
You probably didn't notice that the post you replied to is eight years old so I doubt if the OP is still trying to make up his mind on what to get. Probably most everyone has done the same thing when they first start looking around and putting a comment on a post. When they get this old they call them Zombie Threads. Jump in on a couple of newer ones when you see something that interests you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts