Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANyone tried TAC in their 35 Whelen loads yet?

It's a miracle powder in my 350 Rem mag, and I'll load up some 35 whelen this weekend to see if it holds true for the this cartridge, too. About the same powder capacity and expansion ratio.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Should be the same... I don't have a Whelen to check, but I'd heard they were the same case volume.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Among spherical propellants, QuickLOAD has a 5% compressed load of Ramshot Big Game beating a max load of TAC by about 50 fps, if you can compress it that far without excess force? Doesn't mean it will be the most accurate, though. It also shows uncompressed max loads of Winchester 748 and BL-C(2) beating it by 32 and 38 fps, respectively. This is with a 24" tube. The maximum velocity getter was not a spherical, but Reloader 17, at about 64 fps advantage.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Of those powders all I have is TAC right now. Used up all my BLC(2) on plinking loads as it was too variable for my hunting load.

TAC is steady over the temperature scale, in addition to being dense.

Heading for the loading bench right now.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I'm going to have to pick up some TAC. I keep meaning to give it and X-terminator a try. Besides, the other twenty-odd powders I have are looking lonely.

One season I shot AA2520 in my M1A. I found the irregularity problem with it, too. It proved to be due to ignition. I was using 210M primers at a time, and found that if I deburred the flash holes, the inconsistency was reduced and groups cut from 1.25 moa at 100 yards to 0.70 moa shooting from slinged-up prone. Significant. You might give that a try with BL-C(2)?

How big are the Tac grains compared to BL-C(2)? My flash hole deburring never made any difference with stick powders (which all worked pretty well in that gun), and I think the larger spaces between the grains just let the flame get around so much more easily that it is less particular. I wondered if Tac had larger grains that made flame propagation easier? Of course, 748 is very fine grained, and it doesn't seem to be unacceptably picky about ignition.

Incidentally, back when I did the 2520 trial, I wasn't aware that what magnum primers do is raise start pressure for hard-to-light powders. I'd thought it was just flame burn time or quantity. It might be it would have done the same for me as deburring the flash holes did? It's something elese to try when you have trouble with irregular ignition.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm going to have to pick up some TAC. I keep meaning to give it and X-terminator a try. Besides, the other twenty-odd powders I have are looking lonely.

One season I shot AA2520 in my M1A. I found the irregularity problem with it, too. It proved to be due to ignition. I was using 210M primers at a time, and found that if I deburred the flash holes, the inconsistency was reduced and groups cut from 1.25 moa at 100 yards to 0.70 moa shooting from slinged-up prone. Significant. You might give that a try with BL-C(2)?

How big are the Tac grains compared to BL-C(2)? My flash hole deburring never made any difference with stick powders (which all worked pretty well in that gun), and I think the larger spaces between the grains just let the flame get around so much more easily that it is less particular. I wondered if Tac had larger grains that made flame propagation easier? Of course, 748 is very fine grained, and it doesn't seem to be unacceptably picky about ignition.

Incidentally, back when I did the 2520 trial, I wasn't aware that what magnum primers do is raise start pressure for hard-to-light powders. I'd thought it was just flame burn time or quantity. It might be it would have done the same for me as deburring the flash holes did? It's something elese to try when you have trouble with irregular ignition.
From my recent experiences with TAC, I think you'll be pleased.

I load/shoot a lot for my Mini14. All the ball powders i've tried in the past (WW748, H335, AA2520) always gave large muzzle flashes with my rifle. I assumed it was because of the 18.5" barrel. As a result, most of my reloading before TAC was with H322, which seemed to flash less.

TAC must use a lot better flash supressants because it's like shooting H322 in my mini, except the velocity is a good bit higher over the range of loads that I shoot.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TAC's grain size is "tiny". Smallest of about any powder I use.

Just finished loading some 35 whelen and am heading up into the hills to chrono.

I easily got 60 grains of TAC into the neck sized only case. I bet 65 grains would fit under a lighter bullet.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Do you have a chronograph? If so, what velocities are you getting from what barrel length and with what bullet weight?

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
There is no way I'd get 60 grains of TAC in my 350 RM cases...

Anyway, I bought an 8lb jug of TAC for my .223 and hoping I could find something that would work for an M1, I don't know whats out there, but if I don't find something for that, my .444 Marlin and .350 Rem Mag will help gobble it up.

TAC is very fine grained, it is a bit finer than W748 and H335, but it doesn't clog my powder measure like H110 sometimes does.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got 62.0 grains of TAC into my 350 Rem mag cases. I neck size, so it fit easily, but a bit over pressure for 225 grain bullets (2850 fps)...not by much though. The 3 girdle cuts on the TSX seem to reduce pressure compared to other bullets.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I didn't try... just figured that I was using about 10 grains less W748 and that was pretty filling... I really need to put some together with some 225 Nosler Partitions and see how they perform.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Results from my 35 WHelen chrono today...250 grain Hornady SP & 56.0 grs. of TAC gives about 2600 fps. Will try this load for accuracy. Heavier loads show pressure signs.

220 grain Speer FP & 60.0 grs TAC gives 2840 fps.

I love this powder! But it would be easy to overdo as it is so dense.

CAUTION: This post discusses loads or load data that equals or exceeds published maximums for the cartridge(s) mentioned. Neither the writer, The Shooter's Forum, nor the staff of The Shooter's Forum assume any liability for damage or injury resulting from using this information. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DUPLICATE THE DESCRIBED LOADS without first working them up from a published safe starting level charge while watching for pressure signs. If you don't know how to do that, don't try. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
767 Posts
Results from my 35 WHelen chrono today...250 grain Hornady SP & 56.0 grs. of TAC gives about 2600 fps. Will try this load for accuracy. Heavier loads show pressure signs.

I have a boatload of this powder and want to try it for 200/225 grain loads in my .358 Winchester. :)

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Barsness likes TAC for the 358 Win. I couldn't duplicate his loads, but have gotten good results w/ Ramshot's X terminator, which is a bit faster than TAC.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't own a 35 of any type but that is a big bullet to be going that fast, either load. I'd say it is pretty close in whomp to a .338 Mag. The '06 family of cartridges are a great balance of power, accuracy and shootability.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll confess to loading a bit hot, but still, TAC gives velocity that I haven't been able to get w/ IMR 3031 or other more traditional powders in my 35 Whelen.

It really enhances the capablities of this round...as well as my 350 Rem mag.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have used TAC powder using their published reload data in my 300 Savage, 308 and 30-06 reloads. I've given some TAC powder to fellow shooters at range to try in their .223 reloads and they liked it. Big difference between the .223 and .308 cartridges, yet the TAC is an excellent powder for both.

Can anyone tell me why Ramshot has no load data for TAC in the 257R, 7X57 mauser or 6.5X55 Swede cartridges. What is the reason for not using TAC in these cartridges?

·
Registered
654 Posts

CAUTION: This post discusses loads or load data that equals or exceeds published maximums for the cartridge(s) mentioned. Neither the writer, The Shooter's Forum, nor the staff of The Shooter's Forum assume any liability for damage or injury resulting from using this information. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DUPLICATE THE DESCRIBED LOADS without first working them up from a published safe starting level charge while watching for pressure signs. If you don't know how to do that, don't try. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Wow, those are excellent speeds for the Whelen with the 250gr bullet. I have a good load using RL15 (59gr) and a Speer 250gr Spitzer. I have pushed it to 2550 with good accuracy, usually hovering around 1.25" with my M700 CDL w/24" barrel. I thought that load was potent, yours is pretty incredible. I may have to try some TAC. I still need to find a good load for my 358 Win using a 225gr bullet.

I do get about 2800 using 60gr of RL15 using the 225gr TSX. That is a great shooting load and has alot of power also. Just don't enjoy cleaning copper out of my tube that much. I know they shouldn't, but this barrel was broken in well and still has quite alot of copper with the TSX's. The Speers and such are alot easier to clean up. Great shooting. I may have to try it. Scotty

1 - 20 of 20 Posts