Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is it done? I have one that has never been cleaned and I want to have it drilled and tapped for a scope rail. I have heard very disturbing stories about how it takes a genius to put one back together. I ain't no genius. That's why I'm asking. Any help is appreciated...

·
Registered
483 Posts
First of all, if you don't have the Ruger manual for your pistol, download one from Ruger's website.

Next, go here: http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip.htm

All you need for a good cleaning is here. There's a video, and lots of still photographs illustrating the disassembly and reassembly of the pistol. If you have never done it before it takes a little while to catch on, but after one or two times it should be easy for you. Genius not required :)

As for the detail stripping of what's left, that does get a whole lot more tricky. Years ago, when my sergeant retired, he gave me a bag full of parts that had once been a Standard Model pistol(predecessor of the Mark II). It looked to me that every part (sear, hammer, trigger, pins, springs, etc.) had to be put in after something else, and I never did get it figured out until I found the 1bad69 website. You will likely never need to take your pistol apart to that detail -- and if you ever do, you now know where to look for the instructions.

Let us know if you're still having problems with your pistol. Someone who knows the Mark II better than I do will chime in to help.

And welcome to the forum,

The Old Guy

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
They don't take a genius, just proper sequence. Flipping them over and pulling the trigger with my pinky finger is automatic for me now... The only difference for the MKIII is that you have to insert the mag before dropping the hammer, then remove it to close the latch. After a few times it'll become very easy.

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flipping them over and pulling the trigger with my pinky finger is automatic for me now...
I have heard references made to this prestidigital maneuver. Something about some part inside on a pivot, and it drops into place only when the gun is upside down. There is also something about needing a loop made from a very small-diameter wire to pull that toggle on the rear of the grip backwards. As for taking it to a gunsmith, I want to use it again before I slab out, so that's not an option...

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
No need for a gunsmith, watch the above video, then if you still have questions, you can literally call Ruger and they will walk you right through it. They are very nice people to talk to.
<TABLE class=style1 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
Service inquires for PC4/PC9 Carbines and all Pistols
excluding the 22 Charger Pistol.
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Customer Service Department

200 Ruger Road
Prescott, AZ 86301
Telephone: 928-541-8892 / Fax: 928-778-6633
(Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm MST)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
The only trick is getting the hammer strut tip centered on the mainspring plunger. Everything else about reassembly is pretty easy. The mainspring is in the little steel sandwich on the back of the grip frame that has the lever and assembly pin on it. When you have it out, look down at what is the top end when the gun is assembled. In the middle you see the indentation that is actually the end of the plunger the mainspring is compressed against. Then look up inside at the long part dangling on the end of the hammer. That's the hammer strut. Its tip has to find its way onto the end of the mainspring plunger when you reassemble the gun.

I've always done this just by inserting the assembly pin and holding the gun muzzle up at the right angle so the hammer strut dangles right where the plunger will be when I pivot the mainspring housing into place. You can tell when you have it right because it takes some pressure against the spring to push the bottom end of the mainspring housing into place so you can close the lever again. I'm not familiar with the inversion maneuver, but there may be a number of clever methods out there.

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Delicious stuff. All of it...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can't add much to what the others already gave ya. I bought a MKII standard off Gunbroker about 6 months ago, and I about went nuts trying to figure out how to get the thing back together. Then I had the bright idea to get on you tube and found the instructions there. The first time it took me 2 days (the end of which I got it done via you tube instructions.) The second time it took me about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
A very good friend of mine takes "much delight" tearing down MKI and II in front of the owner(s) at a bench. Right before their eyes. Takes him most of 15 seconds.

He then backs away and says "there you go, reverse order for re-assemble".

Time for a couple of beers now as I watch the owner try a few times.

Friend will then purdy much "throw the parts in his hat, shake them up, and dump-out a fully assembled and fully functional Ruger handgun.

Takes me about ten miniutes to do mine!

Friend! Let me think on that term awhile???

Cheezywan

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
StromBusa,

A real man would take 'em both down, dröp all the small parts into the same pocket while he cleaned the big parts, then pull the small parts back out of his pocket in the right order by feel alone. All the while clearly repeating, "yes, dear; no, dear; whatever you say, dear," over and over.

Such is life.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some of us are not real men and shake our fists at the pile of parts laying on the work bench before relenting and breaking out the owner's manual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts