Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions on replacement grips for my 41 mag Blackhawk. With heavy loads it is downright painful to shoot. The factory grip is to short and sharp and it hurts my knuckles after a while. I heard that the eaglegrips.com "gunfighter grip" is a good one. Anyone have other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
FA18CUB,

I used to use Pachmeyer rubber grips if I remember correctly. It wasn't my gun just a loaner. Heard of people swapping for a Bisley grip frame. They claim that it tames recoil better for them.

De Oppresso Liber

·
Registered
360 Posts
FA18CUB, Have you tried using shooting gloves? I haven't in the past because I wasn't impress with the thin padded gloves. But, since I do wear gel padded bicycling gloves when riding a bike I thought I'd try a good pair for shooting. The cost is the same (around $25). If you try this method, I suggest you use the gel filled fingerless and not the normal cotton padded type. The fingerless will help with reloading. I use a good quality pair made by Cannondale. They help me hold tight around the narrow S&W rubber grips on my 44. Regarding grips, I usually remove the stock ones and replaced them with Pachmayr.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,404 Posts
Try some weightlifting gloves, they usually have a padded palm & the fingers are open. Worked great for me when I was doing 300gr. loads from a standard .45 Colt Blackhawk.

For what it's worth, the loads that hurt in a standard Blackhawk are no trouble whatsoever in a Bisley.

Super Blackhawk grip frame gets mixed reviews, on some people it whacks the snot out of your knuckles. I finally did learn to shoot one, after drawing blood a time or two.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping to find a different shape grip that would fit my Blackhawk frame. That would be cheaper then going the Bisley conversion route from Brownells. Gloves would still leave the old grips on there and I would be dependent on wearing them.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,404 Posts
The SBH or Bisley should both hook right up, with the possibility of minor fitting.

As I recall the Bisley is going to require a different trigger & hammer. I THINK that the SBH grip frame will work with your current hammer/trigger. You might want to run this past the crowd over at the Campfire on www.sixguns.com for confirmation, before you spend any money.

One other possibility is getting a steel grip frame from a Vaquero. Although it is really just the same shape as the aluminum Blackhawk grip frame, the Vaquero frames are steel. You'd be surprised at how much a few extra ounces can help tame the recoil.

I am not aware of any replacement grip frames that would be cheaper than looking for a used Ruger part.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cub,

I have an old three-screw Blackhawk in .45 Colt that was tough to hang onto with stout loads. I had a set of stocks made for me by Steve Herrett. They gave the grip a Bisley-like shape, filled in the space behind the trigger guard, and are longer than the original grips. Herrett has you draw a diagram of your hand on his order form so he can cut the grips to your needs. Steve, of course, died a few years ago, but his company lives on.

Lobo in W.Va.

·
Banned
24 Posts
I have a RBH in .44 Mag. w/4 5/8" tube.

I've shot this with a variety of 300gr+ cast and jacketed bullets over healthy doses of 110/296. It has the steel grip frame and Pachmyar grips. It's not bad. The same loads with the wooden factory grips are downright mean. (But nothing even close to the .454 & up set.)

Not that it was a killer but I put a steel gripframe on my .357 BH to improve the balance and it does reduce felt recoil a lot. Ruger also sell a steel ejector housing if you want everything to match perfectly.

I'd start with the Pachy's for $25, and move to the steel if it still bothers you. If you have really big hands, go for the Bisley steel. My larger friends have these and they are better. But I find that for my hands they aren't quite right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
grips

I also thought the factory grip left a little to be desired. It pounded my knuckles badly with heavy loads. I tried the soft rubber grips and found that all they did was give me nice friction blisters on the palm of my hand. I then tried the Hogue oversized smooth wooden grips, the fit wasn't perfect but it was ok, it now handles the heavy loads MUCH better. It fills in behind the trigger guard and lowers the percieved recoil substantially.:)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Houge oversized wood...I will have to check that out! Does anyone have any experience with the Gary Reeder "gunfighter" grips?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I went one session with the regular grips on my .41 4 5/8 Blackhawk. Quick trip to town for a set of rubber Hogues. Solved the problem.
I looked for the Hogue wooden grips and was told they don't make them for Blackhawks? Anyone have some or have a source for them??

·
Registered
311 Posts
I wasn't looking in the right place.
Go here-http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merchant.ihtml?pid=3611&lastcatid=408&step=4
They really look good. I had my hands on a Hogue wooden grip on a Smith and Wesson and it felt very good.

·
Registered
572 Posts
FA18...

My friend has one of Gary's .475 Linebaughs with a 3.5 Inch barrel and those gunfigher grips on it.

While it is one scarey looking hand cannon, it is remarkably pleasant to shoot (considering what it is of course ;*)

I have big hands yet they seem to curl right around that little curved grip and provide a good hold and recoil management. I hardly even developed a ffffflinch

with the 420 grainers.

I do have an old set of Pachmeyers on my 6.5 inch Ruger .41Mag and like em just fine.

If I would have had the heart to cut that barrel down to 4 5/8 I probably never would have purchased another handgun.

Scotty

·
Registered
311 Posts
Coldfingers,
The .41 Ruger I fell into has the 4 5/8 barrel. The more I mess with it the more I leave the other guns in the shop when I go to shoot. With the Hogue grips on it, it just seems to be "friendly"
I had a 357 that I have already sold because of lack of use. I don't have the SRH up for sale yet?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts