Votes: 2 66.7%
  • .264 Win Mag

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been kicking around the idea of a 6.5 Gibbs for a while now, keep coming back to "should probably just do a Win Mag if you do a hot 6.5/.264"...anybody shoot both? I'd probably do it on a hunting rifle, bolt action and 24" barrel. I like Mausers, but leaning toward a Savage for this one.

Thanks.

·
Banned
531 Posts
I have no experience with either caliber, but, I do, with a Savage and suggest you buy with caution. Even with all the positive reviews I read about Savage Arms bolt guns, before I bought one of their entry level Hog Hunters,... I dumped it within a year.

But, to be fair about it, it was an entry level rifle.

Mauser actions I have had,... and, Mauser actions I can give a thumb up to! 👍

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
As a real advocate of just about anything 6.5 and having previously owned just about every one you can imagine the 6.5 prc would be less heartache in the long term, accuracy + speed, what's there not to like?

·
Registered
677 Posts
isn't the Gibbs just a 6.5-06? (I've honestly never seen one and my google search isn't giving me much).

I'm a big 264 fan, I've loved the caliber since before the 260 Rem was made "honest", I've wanted a 264WM since I was a kid, but in all honesty the 260 Rem covers all I really need, and I have the Grendel to cover the lighter work.

I'm in the same boat as Kevinbear, I'm stuck between the PRC and the 264WM, but I agree the PRC would be a good alternate choice, without the belt you'll have less issues with reloading. I'm probably going to just stick with the 260REM and run it as hot as I'm safely able.

but like it was said, I wont stand in the way of someone's unique project. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
alaska682 I found this from a google search. 270 on the left, 6.5 Gibbs on the right.
Thanks, so its just a blown out 6.5-06 case... with the shoulder pushed way the heck out there.

Reactions: broom_jm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, so its just a blown out 6.5-06 case... with the shoulder pushed way the heck out there.
Basically, friend of my Dads built one about 25 years ago, let Dad take it out and "break it in" for deer season that year. Dad still swears it was the best shooting rifle he ever handled. Thinking back though, I'm pretty sure it was loaded hotter than it really should have been.

Sooner or later I'll do one or the other, haven't built anything for a couple years now and I'm thinking maybe...when I do I'll just hunt down a good donor and see what the bolt face is. Probably the easiest way to decide between the two.

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
It's best to build it on a push feed action. I did a .263 Saber on a M98. It takes a lot to make it feed right, like all the 'fat' cases.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's best to build it on a push feed action. I did a .263 Saber on a M98. It takes a lot to make it feed right, like all the 'fat' cases.
You're right about that, I put together a 7 Gibbs for a buddy on a Mark X and getting it to feed smooth was a PITA. That's the biggest reason I'm leaning toward a Savage if I do another Gibbs.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
isn't the Gibbs just a 6.5-06? (I've honestly never seen one and my google search isn't giving me much).

I'm a big 264 fan, I've loved the caliber since before the 260 Rem was made "honest", I've wanted a 264WM since I was a kid, but in all honesty the 260 Rem covers all I really need, and I have the Grendel to cover the lighter work.

I'm in the same boat as Kevinbear, I'm stuck between the PRC and the 264WM, but I agree the PRC would be a good alternate choice, without the belt you'll have less issues with reloading. I'm probably going to just stick with the 260REM and run it as hot as I'm safely able.

but like it was said, I wont stand in the way of someone's unique project. Good luck with it.
From the reloading dies’ angle, keeping the case diameter down to the 6.5 Rem. Mag.’s dia. and COAL, may give more results. I’ve damaged an expensive file/trim case taper only 375 Ruger Basic die. The base is re ally thin. I also put my Americanized 8mm Schumer’s shorter 300 RCM cases through it.
The 6.5mm bore kicks harder in order to excel down range. It’s also relatively harder on the brass in order to get the performance. Factory rifles head space off the belt only. Thisdoesn’t prevent you from cutting a slightly shallow chamber with a sharper shoulder, and added case taper, along with a custom wildcat FL Die. My GS requires me to provide a custom Head Space gauge for any wildcat, like this.
FWIW, Those two Rem. Short Mags were designed for push feed M 600 actions. The 6.5 Swede OTOH, went into 1896 ( obsolete ) Mauser military actions. Their proofing was one go, do or die, 125 years ago. You’re going to have to hand load the 6.5 Rem Mag anyway, so why not tighten and sharpen the shoulder, using a recut finish reamer, with a shoulder head space gauge. This very slight loss of case volume will keep your 6.5mm Rem Mag brass from thinning ahead of their belts, on your first shot.
I do this by reforming 300 Wea. cases into 300 Win Mags with +0.050” necks. This way I can neck resize my Winnie Mag with 0.314” long necks. Full length sizing drops them to 0.304” long necks. In the sloppy stock REM’s chamber, I only had 0.22” long necks after neck sizing, to prevent further thinning at the case heads, ahead of the belts. All my GS did was to neck throat an extra fifty thousandths deeper in the stock 300 Win Mag chamber.
You won’t have that luxury, So a recut finnish reamer with a custom head space gauge and it’s own FL Sizing Die will get er done at reasonable expense. Truing up the action will give a bench made fitment, if not a top quality finnish.

·
Registered
774 Posts
A friend of mine has a Savage 110D and has talked about rebarreling to .264 WM, for a while. I told him if he keeps velocity mild, barrel life will be ok. But, he likes being able to load up to 3200 fps. Hmmmmmm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts