Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again

So yesterday I picked up a Chiappa 1886 takedown rifle, the classic not one of the short ones like the ridgerunner, beautiful gun 26” octagon barrel color case hardened receiver, I had hoped to put a tang sight on it, it is tapped for said sight but, if you can believe it, chiappa doesn’t make screws long enough to attach the sight, wondering if anyone has any ideas on where to look for a creedmore type sight that would fit, and screws of course?

Thanks
Terry

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congrats on your 1886.

My 86 td wears Marble sights- a folding barrel sight and a folding tang sight. Marble provided the screw for the tang sight.

BTW, what caliber is yours?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on your 1886.

My 86 td wears Marble sights- a folding barrel sight and a folding tang sight. Marble provided the screw for the tang sight.

BTW, what caliber is yours?
This one is a 45-70, really nice gun!!
I have the Winchester in 45-90, and a Browning carbine in 45-70, just always wanted a rifle with the Octagon barrel, my 45-90 is the short rifle with the 24"barrel, and it is round, kind of wish it had the extra weight of the octagon barrel.

A question on your 45-90 does it have the tang safety? if so did you have to do anything special for the tang sight?

IS there a photo of your sights somewhere that I could look at?

Thanks!!

Terry

·
Registered
85 Posts
A question on your 45-90 does it have the tang safety? if so did you have to do anything special for the tang sight?

YES! :)

Before folding barrel sight installed.

After comb shaved to allow tang sight to fold to lock position:

Notice the safety just forward of the sight base? To the rear of base is the single screw to hold the sight in place (it works).Barrel sight down and up:

All good?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

YES! :)

Before folding barrel sight installed.

After comb shaved to allow tang sight to fold to lock position:

Notice the safety just forward of the sight base? To the rear of base is the single screw to hold the sight in place (it works).Barrel sight down and up:

All good?
Thanks for the info and photos!!

So on your gun you had to trim the stock back so you could fold the peep sight down?
Not sure I’m ready to do that just yet, and the Chiappa receiver isn’t drilled and taped for something like a Wilson peep sight, the tang is however drilled and taped weird that taped it for a sight but do not sell longer screws or sights for that matter.

I took it out and shot it today amazing how much that heavy octagon barrel eats up the recoil I know weight is your friend but night and day compared to my browning carbine!

Thanks again
Terry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts