Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
326 Posts
I had a Lyman flip up on my 94, but recently switched to XS peep sight. I like the Xs much better. Got tired of having to plip up my sight! Very well built, easy to mount and zero, and good shooting. Id recomend them to anyone. Got mine form Midway, came in a pair with rear ghost sight and front blade sight for 90 some odd dollars. Rear ghost ring mounts in the holes intended for the scope base.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well , here it is , confession time . :-(

I was asking about the Taurus Tang Sight , as opposed to the Marble sight . Because . I am CHEAP . :-(

God bless
Wyr
Me too. But sometimes you just can't get away with cheap. If you want a cheap peep on a 92 go with a lyman side mount.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
The inexpensive Taurus tang sight can be mounted on a Rossi M92 - and many other rifles with a similar ratio between it's bore C/L and rear tang.

Just be careful what you ask for, since the Taurus adjustments are crude at best, and the sight wobbles every time it's either lowered or raised - and never ends up in exactly the same position, unless you mark the sight parts and check the alignment after each movement & often while shooting/hunting.

The Rossi tang may/may not need to be D/T'd for the forward base screw, AND the sight buyer will have to deal with obtaining a longer tang screw with the proper metric threads.

The sweet tase of a low price will quickly be rinsed away when the bitter flavor of poor quality raises it's ugly head.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The inexpensive Taurus tang sight can be mounted on a Rossi M92 - and many other rifles with a similar ratio between it's bore C/L and rear tang.

Just be careful what you ask for, since the Taurus adjustments are crude at best, and the sight wobbles every time it's either lowered or raised - and never ends up in exactly the same position, unless you mark the sight parts and check the alignment after each movement & often while shooting/hunting.

The Rossi tang may/may not need to be D/T'd for the forward base screw, AND the sight buyer will have to deal with obtaining a longer tang screw with the proper metric threads.

The sweet tase of a low price will quickly be rinsed away when the bitter flavor of poor quality raises it's ugly head.

Well , if it is poor quality , that is one of the things I was hoping to find out .

But , once a price point is past , I usually decide to do without , rather than spend past that point .

Also , I am used to living with Ford or Chevy quality . I am not expecting Rolls Royce quality , at the price I am willing to pay .

As far as what is involved in mounting a tang sigh , I think I can visualize that .

Thanks , all

God bless
Wyr

·
Banned
27 Posts
Peep Sights....

Has anyone experience with the "Williams" side mount peep sight? Looks like a one screw attachment and no drilling.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Has anyone experience with the "Williams" side mount peep sight? Looks like a one screw attachment and no drilling.

FWIW, Williams makes four receiver peep sights, that can be used - two side mounts, and twp top mounted sights.
ALL use two mounting screws, but one of the screws holding the side-mount peeps onto the receiver is hidden under the dight's elevation slide.

There are two side-mounted sights - the 5D-94 and the FP-94.

There are also two top-mounted sights, meany for the angle-eject Winchester 94Ae - the 5d-94AE & the FP-94AE.
These mount via D/T one hole atop the rear of each receiver sidewall (just like a Win 94AE).

ANOTHER peep option, for those with bolt-top safeties, is to remove the safety, and mount a Skinner LoPro peep in a safety replacement plug.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts