Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note from the range on the "Tanker" 44 Mag barrel. What a blast to shoot this thing! Balance is excellent! With the rear sight
cranked down all the way, I was dead on at 25 yds. with a 280gr LBT WFN G/C bullet. Probably the heaviest bullet I'll shoot in this gun.

Barrel is an old 6 groove, flat bottom lug 10" bull barrel chopped to 8" and recessed crowned by Mike Bellm. Front sight was remounted and post was raised also. Mike does very good work, especially with the barrel crown. He also cleaned up the throat a bit. This is a tree-stand gun!

Clocked this bullet/load at an average of 1385 FPS with 20grs. of WC820 surplus. Also shot same bullet with 22.5 grs of H110 for an average of 1424 FPS. Both loads appear to have great accuracy potential with a 2" group at that distance with WC820. I'm sure I can tighten that up a bit as I'm getting used to this newer S/S frame I just picked up last fall and it's relatively hard trigger pull. May have the trigger pull lightened up some.

Gun typically rolls back and up in the hand and you know it went off but it is not particularly uncomfortable to shoot. Quite fun actually. The shorter barrel is still in proportion to the grip of the gun also.

If a holster could be secured would make a neat belt carry gun. I call it a "Tanker" after the shortened barrel Garands of long ago.

All in all, a neat little powerhouse and platform for further load development work.

Regards to all,

Ray

(Edited by Contender at 6:26 pm on Aug. 15, 2001)

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alan,

Yes, this thing is pretty neat. I have a Ruger SBH that was chopped back to a 5" bbl. a number of years back and for comparison, the Contender with this barrel is only about 1" longer in total length than the Ruger and virtually the same height from bottom of grip to top of rear sight blade.

My velocities with the same bullet and charge weights run about 100-140 FPS more in the Contender.

Granted it's not a wheelgun but it just goes to show you a different avenue to take with a useful result.

Regards, Ray

1 - 3 of 3 Posts