Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember back over a decade ago that these scopes were built in japan by one of the better scopemakers and was Tasco's attempt at competing with the high dollar euro scopes. They never got a fair break because of the name (Ferrari can build the car but if you slap Yugo on the grill and trunklid it just aint gonna get much respect!) and the company was sold and now for the last 10-15yrs we see Tasco essentially referred to as Trashco. I know the original "japan built" Tasco's were actually quite decent scopes, especially for the money. But like most others who've since shipped their mfrg to the Phillipines, China, Vietnam etc... the stuff now is crap.

Like I said, I remember the Titan scopes but never actually looked thru or handled one personally. I remember hearing they were built like tanks, a little heavy, had fantastic glass in them and of course were 30mm tubes. The reason I ask is I was in an old gunshop the other day looking over everything and I was shocked to see 2 brand new, still in the original dust covered boxes, Titan 3x9x42s in the display case. I want to say the original, very faded pricetags were marked near $300 and had been x-out to a scant over $200. Now I realize they aren't in any way related to the "newer" Tasco company and would essentially be a brand new scope with ZERO warranty. But for crapsNgiggles and based on the fact that I enjoy "different" and "odd" items, I must admit being interested in snapping up those 2 scopes and tossing them in the closet for the heck of it. (I actually have a project rifle I might start soon so I might actually WOULD mount one up and use it.)

Anyone have any REAL experience or remembrance of the Titans?
HL

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
Used almost all of the Tasco stuff until they went out of business over here in the UK. I have one on my present wildcat and too date I have had no complaints from the receiving end. We have a company here in the UK called Deben, they market a scope called the Hawke. I have a number of those now and too date they have performed very well. Killed two roe and two pigs in Slovenia recently with one mounted on a 300H&H. Bullet went exactly where I was aiming all four times. Like many 'NAMED' things in shooting, fishing and other pastimes I refuse to be conned out of my hard earned cash. I fish with Shakespeare rods costing the equivalent of $50 and they catch and land fish equally as well as a $700 Sage. I just purchased a new fishing waistcoat Airflo, for $85 and it looks and feels identical in every way including the Indian motif adornment to Fishpong ..err sorry pond, waistcoats costing three times as much. The only items I have had breakdowns with in the last forty years or more have been a pair of Swarovski binos which have been back to the factory three times and returned with no letter of apology, and a Leopold fixed power scope supposedly with a heavy reticule, where the reticule collapsed after half a dozen shots from my 458Win.Leopold sent me a new scope with a very nice letter of apology by return.
Shop around and use your money wisely is my way of doing things and don't be sucked in by fancy names and celebrities chanting on about how good things are. Remember they are getting stuff free of charge along with a fancy fishing or shooting trip as well.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I remember Tasco scopes.
For the most part, they were low end, and were not of good quality.
If you're asking me for advice, I'd say buy a Leupold.
American made with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
East, I know Tasco ended up the "Wal-mart variety" of scopes usually sold in blister packs by the end of their original run. But twas a time in the 70s-80s when they were quite decent scopes for the money! As for the Titan's they weren't built like the cheaper stuff, they were essentially "japanese built euro quality" pieces. I've just never actually had my hands on any of the Titan stuff.

I have several Nikons, nearly a dozen Leupolds, a couple of Zeiss Conquests and one Swarovski PVS. I'm not looking for THE greatest scope this side of the Hale Observatory I'm just wondering if anyone has ever actually owned or used any of the Titan scopes? Just like something different, at times.

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
I still have a Titan and it still works and does the job it was designed for. The one sitting on my 257RRI at this moment is a 3-9 x 44 Tasco World Class. Don't ask me how long I have had it, but growing old ain't for whimps. Last night I sat waiting for some soft furry things to come out in the open, they didn't, but right at the very last glimmer I could still see a rabbit at around 160yrds on full power and could still have shot any deer or fox silly enough to show. I purchased this second hand by the way. I probably spent the extra cash on an air ticket somewhere nice, like TEXAS!

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I remember back over a decade ago that these scopes were built in japan by one of the better scopemakers and was Tasco's attempt at competing with the high dollar euro scopes. They never got a fair break because of the name (Ferrari can build the car but if you slap Yugo on the grill and trunklid it just aint gonna get much respect!) and the company was sold and now for the last 10-15yrs we see Tasco essentially referred to as Trashco.
I don't know the scopes; sorry. However, your description sounds like roughly the same timeframe they were making the "SuperSniper" scope. That is now an SWFA scope which is Japanese-made and very highly regarded. I have one of those SWFA scopes that still had Tasco-labeled materials with it. It is a decent scope. Very strong, heavy, and reliable. Glass is nothing special at all, given the 'tacti-cool' price, but it's a good scope. If the Titans were from that era, I bet they're solid, reliable scopes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Titan

I bought a 3.5 > 10 x 50, back in the day. It was almost 1/3 the cost of a Vari XIII Leupold, and it had the adjustable eyepiece, which is the only way to go if you wear corrective lens's. I used it for a while, but sold the rifle. Today's project is a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag and I want to test loads. The rifle will be used with the opens, but testing is way easier if you can use a scope. Luckily the 1894 is D&T for a 63B Weaver, and a quick search through the tickle trunk had me wondering if it would fit on the Marlin. And it already had rings, so i mounted it and it fits OK.

I for one will not feel disadvantaged in the least because my scope says Tasco.

·
Banned
1 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is there a rule about politics?

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,756 Posts
Read the sticky, which was inserted into the response; IMMEDIATELY preceding your question. And easily seen in the preview.....😡

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,953 Posts
Need to read the General Discussion Stickies. NO politics has been a steadfast rule since you came aboard in 2005. Strange, in all the years past you have not been aware of that rule.

Reactions: Darkker

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,274 Posts
And you would ask that question, in an 8 year old thread about scopes, why????? :confused:

Thread closed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.