Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had an exciting morning - I taught my first Hunter's Education class! I signed up over the summer to be a volunteer instructor with IDFG. There were students from about 10 years old and up, boys and girls, and even two adult women! Glad to see the ladies and children involved in our sport!

I taught map/compass skills, and conducted a "walkabout", where each student carries a firearm and we practice moving through the woods, up and down hills, and crossing fences safely. There is an IDFG full-time instructor and two volunteers for each class.

It was very enjoyable and gratifying, and I'm looking forward to more involvement. It was cool!:cool:

·
Registered
517 Posts
What better way to spend some time, instruction and promotion! Way to go.

What is that phrase, "Pay it forward"? Nice way to do so.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

I've been an IDFG instructor for about five years now, really enjoy it, although it can be very time consuming doing all the necessary paperwork, especially if you have a large class. In our area we split up the load of the class, and have "specialties" in the subject area that we teach. It's great fun and rewarding to see new recruits into the ranks of Idaho hunters!

Glad to hear that you're taking the time to volunteer! Great job!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I assisted the IDFG Instructror with my duaghters class this summer. All young kids-church youth group-royal rangers! Lots of fun!:D The boy's didn't appreciate my duaghter out shooting them at the range though!:D They complianed to me -I told them they need to practice more!! My daughter has been shooting since she was about 8 or so! She's been in the field with with me since she was 5- she would hunt doves with me- not shooting, but she have fun bringing the doves back. :D

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, ID:
Teaching Hunter Education is fun if a bit frustrating at times. We didn't run a class this winter because the Feds threw a monkey wrench in the works and it was too late to start by the time things got straightened out.

Here's an old post about external ballistics for 12 year olds.
http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=463

Having a mom is the class is the best advertising you can get. Kids from non-shooting families will want to take the class, but their mothers may have heard too much anti nonsense and be reluctant to let them join. A chat with a mom who has taken the course will do more than anything you can say to them.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
98 Posts
Folks,
Is there a good source for hunter ed material for home use? I am starting to teach my 6 & 7 year olds and i would like to do it "by the book" so I will cover everything and not pass on any bad habits I may have aquired and it might not be bad for dad to review a little.. it's been a loong time since I took any gun safety course.

Thanks.

Eric

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Eric,
ADF&G should have some material used for the Alaska Hunter Safety Course. The state office on C Street in Anchorage would probably be the best contact.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I found that the kids had the most trouble with muzzle control in the field - not the concept, but the application! We hike them over some pretty rough terrain, up and down steep embankments, over sand and loose rock. Sometimes you need to use at least one hand for stability, and it seems pretty easy for the kids to forget where that muzzle is pointed. But we call them each time a muzzle goes astray, and after a few drills they do much, much better. We keep on hiking them 'til they get it down pretty well!:D

Safety is the number one thing, but we also teach about game management, hunter ethics, ballistics (much like Jack described - not a lot of numbers, but a general idea of the bullet's flight and sighting in), shot placement, survival techniques, map and compass reading, live-fire practice, etc. It is a lot more in-depth program than when I took Hunter's Safety back in the 70's.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Indeed different classes than those of the 70's. When I took my hunter safety certification, the gentleman giving the class simply reviewed the test questions, handed out a manual, then the test and I was gone from his house in under two hours with my certification card. A total joke!

This regimen that IDFG uses and mandates is a first-class, well rounded program. I was really blessed to first have my kids benefit from the teaching, then to be a part of such an excellent program is a treat!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 9 of 9 Posts