Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Taurus 709 Slim 9mm. From the start it had problems ejecting the empty brass when firing Winchester ammo, both fmj and hp but it works great with Remington. After about 200 rounds with no improvement I called Taurus and they had me send it to them. 6 weeks later it returned with a letter saying they replaced the ejector and the gun was fixed. I went to the range and the problem still exists, it still jams at least once in every mag with Winchester ammo but shoots fine with Remington. I am very disappointed with Taurus. I like the way the gun shoots and looks and fits my hand. Still trying to decide whether to keep it and only use Rem ammo or trade it off?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I recently purchased a Taurus 709 Slim 9mm. From the start it had problems ejecting the empty brass when firing Winchester ammo, both fmj and hp but it works great with Remington. After about 200 rounds with no improvement I called Taurus and they had me send it to them. 6 weeks later it returned with a letter saying they replaced the ejector and the gun was fixed. I went to the range and the problem still exists, it still jams at least once in every mag with Winchester ammo but shoots fine with Remington. I am very disappointed with Taurus. I like the way the gun shoots and looks and fits my hand. Still trying to decide whether to keep it and only use Rem ammo or trade it off?
Failing to function with one kind of ammo isn't necessarily indicative of low quality. Some guns just don't like some ammo. If it works with Remington, use Remington.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is a dedicated Taurus forum, something like Taurus Armed . Net, or similar. Google your way over there. Inside, you'll find a legion of issues with this model.
They have a great deal of teething pains with it, unfortunately. I hope that your's is one of them that will eventually work out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Winchester WB is your problem. I had an XD9 that would fail to eject with them also. Not as often but they would. I use the federal ammo also from Wallyworld for range and for home protection I use the critical defense. I have yet to have any issues with it. Qualified for CCW 50/50 and this was the second time at the range with it.

The xd was nice but too big for my frame to conceal properly. I'm very happy with the 709.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stop using Winchester ammo

Really, why use ammo that is more expensive and makes your gun malfunction? If you like the gun I'd stay with Remington or one of the other many quality ammos out there. I personally find Winchester to be overpriced and over-rated. My 709 feeds the Remington well. I picked up some Federal and PMC recently but haven't shot it yet. Will follow up after a trip to the range.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Went to the range with my cousin over the weekend. He had similar trouble with his FNP Tactical .45. WW White Box would malf but RWS, Federal and UMC worked perfectly.

He asked me what I thought.

Best answer I could come up with was don't use WW White Box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts