Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Taurus 85

Small and light... Like put it in your pocket and take a jog-small and light.

There is no question once you put this revolver in your hand, what its job is.
it is simply a carry gun. No frills, Not beautiful, and will never win an award for being accurate.
What this gun will do, however, is convert a guy who has carried automatic handguns for protection to a revolver lover.

This is a very simple light weight revolver.
Comes in either blue or stainless finish
5-shot capacity
single side lock

Though it doesnt have the smoothest fitting lines, and machining could have been better(keeping in mind i own a precision custom rifle shop), I was fairly impressed.
In testing, i found quickly that i had never held a compact revolver with such a sound grip
this thing was rock solid. The way my fifth finger cupped the bottom of the frame only increased the solidity of the textured rubber grips grasp of my palm.
It never misfired in 100 rounds, and surprisingly appeared to like more potent ammo as far as accuracy is concerned.
It regularly put all 5 shots in a 5" circle, standing, single free handed. The groups tended to be in line with the center of the target, though it grouped about 3"low at 10 yards.
The trigger is VERY heavy, though once the hammer is cocked, its light and crisp, reminding me more of a TC Encore, than a revolver.

Unless you feel that you wont be able to tame your attacker in 5 shots form a 38 special, i would honestly recommend this revolver to anyone, including my wife- for whom this one was purchased. Worth the money, two thumbs up.

-James M Collins
Trident Armory
President of MFG
Bangor, Maine
207-942-5250
"Building dreams, one rifle at a time."

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW
I am in no way connected to Taurus, or any of their entities.... i Have just decided that if i can use the internet to find reviews of product I might as well start adding some reviews as well.

thx

james

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have seven Taurus® revolvers.
• Mdl 85B2CH 38 Special - 1994
• Mdl 669SS4CP 357 Magnum - 1996
• Mdl 85B2 38 Special - 1997
• Mdl 617SS2 357 Magnum - 2003
• Mdl 605SS3 357 Magnum - 2006
• Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special - 2007
• Mdl 605SS2 357 Magnum - 2010

All have performed superbly and I continue to shoot them all almost every week.

I have only encountered these problems.........
• Mdl 85B2CH broke a firing pin (part# 19) after 11,000+ rounds. I replaced the firing pin & it's still going strong.
• Mdl 85SS2UL had the cylinder stop (part# 44) wear down after 10,000 rounds. Called Taurus® and they shipped the part right away. Installed new cylinder stop and now the gun works fine.

I have zero complaints with Taurus® customer service. The one time I had to send a gun in they fixed and returned it when they said they would. Specifically.....................
• Mdl 617 developed excessive cylinder to forcing cone gap (.011") after almost 6,000 rounds. I sent it to Taurus® and they replaced the cylinder (part# 8) and adjusted the yoke (part# 9) *I've since put 2,000+ rounds through it and it's still going strong.

I will not hesitate to buy additional Taurus® revolvers. They are an outstanding value.
Here is a wealth of Taurus® information..........

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a new Taurus 85 SS for personal & home defense. Cleaned revolver's factory gunk off & have put 200 rds thru it so far. Had a gunsmith burnish the sharp edges & he also slightly rounded off the hammer. I am very satisfied with this Snubby's performance so far. I took a Concealed weapons class & bought a Mika's Pocket Holster which I highly recommend...they are handmade & customized to your particular gun! The revolver draws quickly & smoothly from the holster & no printing through pocket is noticeable.

·
Registered
336 Posts
badge851 said it best when he said "they are an outstanding value". I have several Taurus handguns, one of which is a model 85 Ultra Lite which sports a set of Crimson Trace Grips. I have a Tracker model in 44 Mag with a 4" ported barrel, a 627 in 357 mag with a 4" ported barrel and a Scandium frame, a Ragining Hornet in 22 Hornet with a 10" barrel and a scope, and lastly a 1911 PT1911 in 45 ACP. So, I like Taurus handguns, but I don't trust a model 85 in 38 Special to be a good personal protection firearm. Not after I saw an attorney being shot at close range 5 times with a snub nosed revolver on National TV. I do use a revolver for my daily carry gun, it's a S&W 386PD. It is a 2.5" barreled "AirLite" model in 357 Mag that holds 7 rounds. It is a dream to carry, and practice with light 38 special loads are fun to shoot, even for my wife.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
my model 85 is made from titanium and weighs a scant 12oz. I bought it for one reason and that is concealed carry. If I can't kill them with 5 rounds of +P 38special, I got bigger problems.

·
Registered
117 Posts
badge851 said it best when he said "they are an outstanding value". I have several Taurus handguns, one of which is a model 85 Ultra Lite which sports a set of Crimson Trace Grips. I have a Tracker model in 44 Mag with a 4" ported barrel, a 627 in 357 mag with a 4" ported barrel and a Scandium frame, a Ragining Hornet in 22 Hornet with a 10" barrel and a scope, and lastly a 1911 PT1911 in 45 ACP. So, I like Taurus handguns, but I don't trust a model 85 in 38 Special to be a good personal protection firearm. Not after I saw an attorney being shot at close range 5 times with a snub nosed revolver on National TV. I do use a revolver for my daily carry gun, it's a S&W 386PD. It is a 2.5" barreled "AirLite" model in 357 Mag that holds 7 rounds. It is a dream to carry, and practice with light 38 special loads are fun to shoot, even for my wife.
Taurus® has never made a Scandium gun. They have made several models of revolvers out of Titanium.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Taurus® has never made a Scandium gun. They have made several models of revolvers out of Titanium.
You are probably right, I was totally mistaken to call it a Scandium frame when I didn't know for sure what metal it was made of. Could very well be Titanium, whatever it is, it's very light weight. Below are pictures of the Taurus 627 and the 85 before I put the Crimson Trace Grips on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
I love my little Taurus. I bought it used about 5 years ago, it is a shiny little nickel plated number with 2" ported barrel. I have since discarded the rubber grips for wood (the rubber was too catchey on my slothes). As silly as it may seem I did put a laser on it. The fixed sights were abysmal and this was an expedient fix.

There are bigger fancier more powerful guns but I think my little Taurus 357 is the perfect self defense gun. Now how do I upload a pic from my computer?

·
Registered
174 Posts
My wife confiscated my Taurus 85 for when she goes hiking.

To show a pic in your post:

I don't think you can upload pics to this site. I think you can only post links to pics that exist elsewhere on the web. So you'll have to upload your personal pics to your own acct somewhere.

1) copy the link location of a pic you want to show
2) click the little yellow icon of a mountain above the composition window
3) paste the link location of the pic into the pop-up http box

Steve

LIVE FREE OR DIE

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
You are probably right, I was totally mistaken to call it a Scandium frame when I didn't know for sure what metal it was made of.
I was under the impression that scandium was added to titanium to improve the rigidity of titanium as an alloy. Titanium is is pricey, but scandium is much more expensive, and exists mostly as a radioactive isotope. It would show up well on a security camera though :eek:

·
Registered
117 Posts
You are probably right, I was totally mistaken to call it a Scandium frame when I didn't know for sure what metal it was made of. Could very well be Titanium, whatever it is, it's very light weight. Below are pictures of the Taurus 627 and the 85 before I put the Crimson Trace Grips on it.
Your Taurus® 85 is a Mdl 85SS2UL (Ultra-Lite®). It was manufactured in 2009 and the frame is made of 100% Aluminum.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was under the impression that scandium was added to titanium to improve the rigidity of titanium as an alloy. Titanium is is pricey, but scandium is much more expensive, and exists mostly as a radioactive isotope. It would show up well on a security camera though :eek:
Smith and Wesson® uses Scandium; not Taurus®. Taurus revolvers are made with carbon steel and stainless steel. While Taurus® had several titanium framed revolvers in years past, all have been discontinued, with the exception of the 444 Ultra-Lite®. All other Ultra-Lite® Taurus® revolvers have an aluminum frame.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Your Taurus® 85 is a Mdl 85SS2UL (Ultra-Lite®). It was manufactured in 2009 and the frame is made of 100% Aluminum.
You maybe correct. When I was speaking of a Scandium frame or Titanium frame, I wasn't talking about the Taurus Ultra Lite model 85, I was talking about the Taurus model 627 which is also very light weight. A photo of both are shown in my #9 post, the 627 is the one pictured on the right.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I love my little Taurus. I bought it used about 5 years ago, it is a shiny little nickel plated number with 2" ported barrel. I have since discarded the rubber grips for wood (the rubber was too catchey on my slothes). As silly as it may seem I did put a laser on it. The fixed sights were abysmal and this was an expedient fix.

There are bigger fancier more powerful guns but I think my little Taurus 357 is the perfect self defense gun. Now how do I upload a pic from my computer?
You think laser sights are silly? Actually I think they are too unless you use Crimson Trace Laser grips, they are not silly, they work very well, are easy to adjust the point of impact, do not interfere with a holster or clothing. Other makes of laser sites that I have tried to use just have not worked as well. Nothing works better than CTC at night. They are on all of my J frame guns and several of my 1911's and N frame S&W's.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
My wife confiscated my Taurus 85 for when she goes hiking.

To show a pic in your post:

I don't think you can upload pics to this site. I think you can only post links to pics that exist elsewhere on the web. So you'll have to upload your personal pics to your own acct somewhere.

1) copy the link location of a pic you want to show
2) click the little yellow icon of a mountain above the composition window
3) paste the link location of the pic into the pop-up http box

Steve

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Sorry to say it, but the above information is wrong. You can post photos of a picture that is on your computer, it does not have to be hosted by another site. To copy a photo that is on you computer onto your posted message, click " go advanced " at bottom of the screen (instead of submit reply). scroll down until you see the box that says "manage attachments" click that box and a drop down box will appear on the right side of your screen with a box that says "choose file" click that box, go to the picture in your computer and click it, then to the left of choose file click "upload". Then at the bottom of the additional options box, click submit reply.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You maybe correct. When I was speaking of a Scandium frame or Titanium frame, I wasn't talking about the Taurus Ultra Lite model 85, I was talking about the Taurus model 627 which is also very light weight. A photo of both are shown in my #9 post, the 627 is the one pictured on the right.
Please forgive my misinterpretation. Your 627 may be one of the earlier Titanium revolvers. If so; it will say Titanium on the gun. Does yours say Titanium on it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts